Fretboard & Neck Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard & Neck Separation

Has anyone confronted this issue on a guitar with binding and were you able to repair it successfully without removing the the entire fingerboard? How did you do it?

The split is less than a millimetre wide, an inch or so long and only affecting one side. I suspect the trust rod might be the cause. Anyway I can't get the needle into the crack to fill it with glue so should I try to open the crack further or is there another way to get the glue in? I can barely fit a cigarette paper in there.

Last edited by Julz; 09-01-2018, 05:38 PM.

I'm not sure. You don't want to make things worse.

If you do get the glue in there just clamp the hell out of it for days.

Comment

Wow that is scary! I hope that does not happen to any of my 475's. does the gap close up when it is strung? As DonP posted I would try to get some glue in there and clamp it. maybe back the truss rod off until repaired?

Comment

If it were me I'd be sending Sully a private message asking for his opinion. That and an e-mail to GMW or someone like that.

Comment

The gap is very difficult to close with finger pressure, rope or even a ratchet clamp. It definitely does not want to close up. I slipped a razor blade in there and its bumping against something halfway in, perhaps the truss rod.

In the mean time I got a wedge in there that will allow me to fill it with glue but since I'm struggling to close the gap, I'll hand it over to a luthier.

Comment

Working...
          X