Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar damaged in shipping... any tips on making this look a little better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar damaged in shipping... any tips on making this look a little better?

Hey everyone. Despite joining in 2010, this will be my first post! Thanks to everyone the last decade or so that has unknowingly helped me with my Charvel collection. Sorry I'm so quiet.

Anyway, I recently purchased a dark metallic blue Charvel Model 4, from ~88 or so. Guitar Center unsurprisingly did not do the greatest job packing it, and it did not come in the bag they told me it would over the phone... we came to an agreement and they refunded a tiny part of the purchase, but would not pursue UPS for damages and by the time they told me that, it was too late for me to either. Honestly, I should have returned it but I do think I got a good price for it overall and since then I have been travelling for around a month and missed the return window anyway.

The most offensive damage is a very large finish crack just under where your elbow would go when playing. I'll post a picture. The crack is so deep that a large piece of the paint is lifting up from it, probably 3-4 inches long and unknown width since it hasn't actually come apart yet. There is bare wood underneath. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this look a little better without further damaging things? The edge of the cracked paint catches on my elbow when playing and I'm afraid that I'm going to break off a piece and end up with a massive patch of bare wood on the front of the body. I was thinking about the way that "distressed" guitars look, where there is a smooth transition from the paint to the bare wood, so I wonder if I could use some kind of polishing tool to wear down the harsh edge of the chip, maybe prior to doing so slightly lifting it and placing some glue underneath the paint very lightly to keep it flush to the wood? I don't want it to look like a hack job, so I'd rather just leave it alone if there is no way around it. I just fully expect a large piece to chip off if I don't smooth it out.

Thanks for any insight. Pics below:

EDIT: Fixed picture links
    Last edited by lonewolfsx; 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM.

Can you push the loose piece of paint back flush with the rest of the paint?
    Best thing I can think of (and I've done it a few times) is to take thin superglue https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...uper_Glue.html and wick it in and under the loose paint https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...Whip_Tips.html and then press it in place.
    Remove any excess glue with Acetone before it dries. Let dry, wet sand and polish.
    It usually turns out quite good if you do right.

Comment

Thanks, that was my first thought - try to get a little glue under to hold the paint down to the wood then try to polish over it. I appreciate the links, I didn't know "wicking" superglue existed even. That might be a good way to get the glue in under the paint without damaging it further.

I fixed the pictures, for some reason it was displaying the same picture four times. Now showing more detail of the damage.

Comment

Working...
      X