Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Hardware on a new Jackson Kelly KEXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Hardware on a new Jackson Kelly KEXT?

So about to pull the trigger on a Jackson Kelly KEXT with the Mahogany top. Always enjoyed playing a Kelly, nice balance, great fret access. Not being a Fan of Gold hardware, I'd love to replace it but curious about one aspect: As The neck is a compound radius 12-16, and most TOM style replacements seem to be set with a 12 or 14 radius, has anyone had any issues with playability after swapping the bridge? I tend to go for medium to low action and prefer a Hipshot style fixed bridge with individual saddle height adjustment. I've used TonePros and Gotoh hardware on a lot of Les paul guitars so would probably look to go that route, just in Chrome or Black.

Appreciate any help here in advance!

So I swapped hardware... and quickly swapped back. The 12" radius made it horrible to play on the D and G strings, action just felt wrong. Ordered a TOM with raw brass saddles that I will reshape and reslot into an 18" radius and go from there. Will also install a new nut when I do this as this stock nut is cut quite sloppy and the angle on the high E exiting to the tuner needs help.

Comment

I didn't think it would matter that much but apparently you've reported that you can feel a difference in radius so my point below might be irrelevant, but...

I was going to say that Floyd-equipped guitars aren't even radiused properly for the 12-16" compound radius on Jackson/Charvel guitars, and it blew my mind at first.

From source: https://floydrose.com/blogs/tech-talk

Saddle Height Adjustments

Posted Mar 28, 2017 by Floyd Rose

Q: How do I shim my saddles to match my guitar's radius?

A: The standard radii on Floyd Rose six string systems are 10" with the preinstalled shim and 12" without. To change the radius on a tremolo, it is recommended that you shim the individual saddles to match the preferred radius on your guitar. A small piece of copper or aluminum tape is an inexpensive and simple way to raise the saddle height.

A standard radius gauge can be used to measure your neck and bridge's radius: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...us_Gauges.html

Comment

Difference is definitely there. It's one of the reasons I've shied away from most FR guitars. If that's what you're used to probably no problem. I prefer Hipshot bridges and Trems to TOM or FR. The action for each string can be dialed in perfectly regardless of FB radius or string diameter. On my custom guitars I use a 12"-15" Compound and set of the bridge around 18" and for those that prefer it I've gotten insanely low action. I don't like it that low as I tend to dig in and pick hard, along with occasional slide use. This Kelly probably won't be getting any slide action but it's still what I'm used to.

Comment

Working...
        X