Floyd block size questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd block size questions...

I'm weighing my options as far as replacing the JT6 on my Model 5,and know I need a 42mm block on whatever trem I choose.

My first question is concerns the stock 37mm on the OFR or Special. Since the official Floyd site seems to have killed their Custom Shop options,is it up to me to buy the 42mm block on my own and swap it,or are there ways to get it sent out with the right one?

Also,the Gotoh only appears to come with a 40mm block,is this an issue? Thanks,Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

You could try contacting FR sales to see if they could arrange for you to get one preconfigured the way you need.

What makes you think that you need a 42mm block? Is that what is currently in the guitar? None of my non-recessed floyds can take a 42mm block as the body is too thin.

Comment

It's possible my info is wrong,but read on here somewhere a non-recessed JT6 needed the 42mm to function right so the springs in the back didn't crash into the wood.

If that info is wrong,please speak up LOL. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

The Model 5 requires a 42mm block. They didn't route the spring cavity very deep and the neck angle doesn't help either.
        You can use a 37, but that will require you to remove some wood in the spring cavity to keep them from rubbing.

Yes, I've done this upgrade on a 5A.

Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-21-2018, 06:02 PM.
        -Rick

Comment

You'd have to order the block and swap it yourself...there's nothing to it. Also, the Floyd Special has the exact same dimensions as the OFR so it doesn't matter which one of those two you have all the parts will swap with one another.

Have you tried the Stone Tone blocks? If not this would be the perfect opportunity to try one!
          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

only thing you need to worry about is if the 42mm will stick out of the back of the body, if it wont then youre good to go! like adam reiver from fu tone says "stuff as much brass under that floyd as you can, bigger the better" check out fu-tone.com bout 50 bucks for a big brass block and its a world of difference! I have put one on every guitar ive owned, one of the first mods i do absolutely wakes the guitar up. since yours is not recessed and a top mounted bridge, get the L block...just a tad more brass especially if you have to get the smaller size block def worth it! (he also makes his own "floyd" type bridges that you can build yourself, little pricey for those though)

changing the block is really easy, just remember to mark where you saddles are so it doesnt throw off your intonation or if you have the intonation key then dont sweat it, but if not mark them with tape or something that can be wiped off easy.

You could contact them and have them send you whatever floyd you want with the bigger block but im not too sure they will assemble it, you'll have to purchase the bigger block through them and they send you both. id just go to fu tone and get the block separately. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by metal_head91 View Post
              only thing you need to worry about is if the 42mm will stick out of the back of the body, if it wont then youre good to go!
              The 5A was designed for a 42mm block. It's a top mount trem on a neckthru body with a tilted neck angle.
              It won't stick out or even rub on the spring cover.

A 37mm block would literally drag the springs across the body in the spring cavity and bind up.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                The 5A was designed for a 42mm block. It's a top mount trem on a neckthru body with a tilted neck angle.
                It won't stick out or even rub on the spring cover.

A 37mm block would literally drag the springs across the body in the spring cavity and bind up.
                I don't think the model 6 is different construction wise, and I might have just gotten lucky or something but I have a 37mm block on my ofr upgraded model 6. I can bottom the trem out and the springs don't touch. It's VERY close, but they don't touch. I would still recommend the bigger block in case. Maybe I angled the claw so the springs sit a bit higher too.

Comment

Working...
                X