Floyd Rose Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Upgrade

need a little help here. I recently aquired a 2017 JS 32. I know its lower end but I am in love with this guitar. The Jackson branded Tremelo is a little lacking though. Im wanting to put a Real Floyd in but i have no clue as to which kind will fit!? HAs anyone does this?

It is rumored that the Jackson-branded trem on the JS Series is actually a Jackson-branded Floyd Rose Special.

As we know, the Floyd Rose Special is exact in composition and dimensions as the Original Floyd Rose, except it has zinc alloy saddles and a zinc alloy sustain block. If you replace the saddles with ones made of steel, and replace the sustain block for one made of brass, the Floyd Rose Special essentially is transformed into an "Original Floyd Rose".

I reckon you could do the same upgrades with the Jackson-branded trem.

Of course, the whole trem could be replaced an Original Floyd Rose, a 1000-Series Floyd Rose, or a Floyd Rose Special, as they are all identical to each other in dimensions. The OFR would be the "best". The 1000 Series is identical, but only available OEM so it might not be readily available. The Special would be a redundant swap for the reasons stated in the above paragraphs.

The Schaller Lockmeister tremolo is basically an Original Floyd Rose in dimensions and composition. That is appropriate, because Schaller makes the Original Floyd Rose tremolo for the Floyd Rose company.

I would bet money that the Gotoh GE1996T tremolo is also a direct fit, but a quick search on Google says that the studs are a different diameter, which may or may not permit leaving the stock studs in place to use the GE1996T unit itself.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-18-2018, 04:43 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo in "GE1996T"

Comment

WOW! Talk about knowing your stuff! Thanks for in info! IM thinking about replacing the block and saddles first, as it would be the easiest at this point. If not satisfied , the OFR looks tempting!

Comment

Use 1000 series saddles on an FR Special base plate.
        Floyd Rose actually states this on their web site.
        Genuine replacement for Floyd Rose 1000 Series Tremolo Systems and an upgradable saddle set on the Floyd Rose Special. Made of hardened steel. (Set of 6)
        https://floydrose.com/products/fr1bs...nt=29882314450

Plus OFR saddles cost about $30 more.
        -Rick

Comment

FR Specials are great once you replace the saddles. It’s not hard nor expensive to do. I bought aftermarket Ping saddles for mine.
          The special (zinc) saddles good for about a year with heavy use, then they start to wear a groove.
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the input! I really love this 32, I know it’s onnthe lower end but it just feels great in my hand. I’ve had a few Jackson’s before and swapped or sold them. This one is just special. I also have jk20pro that I need to get fixed up right!

Comment

Well your on the right track considering your playing a guitar based on feel and NOT price or model number. I love chrome Floyds for some odd reason. They just seem brighter to me. It's probably all in my head but hey, whatever works! lol

Comment

FR staff says that the FR Special baseplate does not have the same level of hardening as the 1000 series or the German ones. for me, that can lead to premature wear at the knife edges.

Comment

If Floyd Rose staff are telling you that, they're not doing very good jobs of representing their company or selling their product. Unless they're the first honest company representatives in the aggressive world of commerce.

According to the Floyd Rose website, everything is identical between the Special and the OFR/1000. Where the metals differ, supposedly, is that the Special uses zinc alloy for the saddles and sustain block, where the OFR and 1000 Series have steel saddles and brass sustain blocks. The baseplate on the Special, theoretically, should be hardened steel, identical to the OFR and 1000 Series.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    If Floyd Rose staff are telling you that, they're not doing very good jobs of representing their company or selling their product. Unless they're the first honest company representatives in the aggressive world of commerce.

there is no "IF" to it.

James said it. Andy said it.

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post
                      there is no "IF" to it.

James said it. Andy said it.
                      I've spoken with James on all this in this past and order from him regularly and what Priest posted is correct, he told me the baseplates are all the same Hardened Steel across the Special, OFR, 1000 where they differ is saddles and sustain blocks.

If you're going to order saddles get the 1000 series replacements it'll save you some money! They're hardened steel just like OFR just made in Korea, they're able to sell em cheaper because manufacturing is cheaper in Korea than it is Germany.
                      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

According to the Floyd Rose website, everything is identical between the Special and the OFR/1000. Where the metals differ, supposedly, is that the Special uses zinc alloy for the saddles and sustain block, where the OFR and 1000 Series have steel saddles and brass sustain blocks. The baseplate on the Special, theoretically, should be hardened steel, identical to the OFR and 1000 Series.
                        100% correct!
                        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

It is rumored that the Jackson-branded trem on the JS Series is actually a Jackson-branded Floyd Rose Special.
                          I heard that too and called a rep at Jackson and he said the same thing.
                          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                            I've spoken with James on all this in this past and order from him regularly and what Priest posted is correct, he told me the baseplates are all the same Hardened Steel across the Special, OFR, 1000 where they differ is saddles and sustain blocks.

James is lying to someone. <- also 100% correct

coincidentally, this dude at Texas Toast just discussed this issue within the past week:
                            https://www.facebook.com/TexasToastG...9079941817904/

otherwise, I'm not invested in FR or Gotoh or whatever. people can spend their money how they want. just trying to share my observations with both my hands-on experiences and with what Andy and James have both said to me directly. if both of them lied to me, so be it.

Comment

I see this post is a little old, but I got one of those low-end Jackson's the other day. If its a Floyd special, well I had one one my schecter omen extreme and while the metal was soft on it and did strip, the finish on it was far superior to what is on this Jackson. Some of the saddles are glossy, some not, and all the threads, fine tuners and bar are horrible.
                              This is the first-time I've seen a bar piece that goes across the studs, what is this for?
                              Would there be a problem getting the gohto and using their studs?

Comment

Working...
                              X