No announcement yet.

Which amp is best for 80's Hair Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which amp is best for 80's Hair Metal?

There are so many options in amps that it's hard for someone who is just getting started to pick the right one. I am looking to get an amp that will give me that 80's Rock/Metal sound and the awesome 80's solo's. I am a real fan of the 80's bands and I am not sure of all the amp dialogue( gain, tone, overdrive, fuzz, clean, etc) so I need some advice and reccomendations on the best amp tube or ss to give me the correct sound. I am purchasing a SL2H & a PC1 or SL1. All suggestion will be appreciated. My budget is around $1500

Thanks
    TJWilson

[ January 18, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: tjwilson ]

Re: Which amp is best for 80\'s Hair Metal?

I think that a marshall JCM800 is perfect for '80 metal.You can find it just used,but it should be pretty cheap though.

Comment

The ADA MP1 was the 80's hair band tone. If you are looking for a rack rig that is it.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series 100 wt half stack , a Good Delay and a few long burst of Aquanette .
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] and a Boss SD-1 or and Ibanez Tibe Screamer...

That's sorta the the thrashers sound though...

The MP-1 was a lot of the hair metal guys choice it seems.

Comment

Peavey 5150's rip out that 80's tone really well.

Comment

Check out a Peavey triple XXX. I cranked this thing up and it was like straight-up 80's metal tones with more bottom. Great peavey head that doesnt sound like a 5150.

Comment

Peavey 5150??

Nah...the common opinion is right on here...either a Marshall JCM 800 full or half stack, or an ADA MP1 preamp (being driven by a SOLID STATE power amp of some sort)

Comment

Another vote for a Marshall JCM 800

Comment

Laney's old Pro Tube or AOR series are pretty killer and cheap as all get out, too. Definitely worth a look.

Comment

Yeah, I second the AOR (I just sold mine) but they are noisy and have no clean channel on which you play your power ballad. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marshalls seem too buzzy to me, and the MP1 IMHO is horrible sounding - but that might just be because I have never had the opportunity to really sit down and tool with one.

I'd also recommend checking out Soldanos as well, if you've got the scratch.

I love hair metal, and it pretty much describes my sound, a lot of chorus, reverb and delay. I just sold my AOR & a Carvin MTS because I bought a "proto" custom handbuilt amp. It's got killer tone spanning all sounds from AC/DC to the nu-metal low end grind. You can try to pester the guy who made it into doing a production run, but he doesn't really want to. His website is www.dsramplification.com He just sent four of his heads out with Kitty. Best part is his prices for a base model custom built amp are around $1500 US dollars.

[ January 22, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Kirk Slossar ]

Comment

Well once I decide on the amp is there certain f/x petals that I will need?

Comment

I posted on your thread on the efx pedals, but here's a thought - I play a TON of 80's metal, and this is what I found to be the best FOR ME...

1) Soldano SP-77 preamp
                          2) Yamaha T50 or T100 amps
                          3) Line 6 Flextone XL 212
                          4) Rocktron Replitone 212
                          5) Sansamp PSA-1

I used to have a Zoom 1950 DSP processor back in the early 90's that was pretty killer for the 80's sound. You can find them on eBay around $100-150, and you could run that into your amp. It has a few cool preamp sounds and a handful of effects.

The JCM800 was probably THE premier amp of the 80's. I don't remember alot of hair band that didn't have a wall of JCM800's or modded Super Leads.

Don't rule out one of the modeling amps - they get a bad rap sometimes, but they are great for ALL types of music if you don't want more than one amp. I'm just getting into my Replitone now, and I have a feeling it's gonna be a hot amp.

[ January 22, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Dude, my band plays almost exclusively 80's metal, and all you will EVER need is a Line 6 Flextone II HD. Hands down the best modeling amp ever created that can dial up any sound from damm near any amp from the past 40 years!!

Comment

I agree with Brian. I've been using the Line 6 Flextone series since it came out. I had a Line 6 HD, and ran it with 2 Marshall 2x12 cabs - KILLER! It'll give you what you need. The HD sounds good live - at least I know the first model did. I didn't have the HD II, but I'm sure it can hold it's own.

The tube guys will tell you to stay away from them, but I can tell you it'll work great. I've had both and wouldn't hesitate to use a Flextone. The HD would suit you better live than the combo however. The closed back cab helps it to maintain focus. Again, I've used Flextone stuff since 1997 and I've never had a problem, so don't be afraid of it.

The Rocktron Replitone I'm starting to use has a lot of potential as well. I think it has a less "airy" sound than the Line 6, and it is LOUD!!! It has good feel though - a little more realistic than the Line 6. The Sansamp PSA-1 SMOKES as well. You can dial in almost anything there, but you'll need effects and a power amp for it. I'd recommend using a solid state power amp with it though. It might get a little out of hand with a tube power amp. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X