Bought an Eganter TOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an Eganter TOL

I've been amp shopping again and just picked up one of the original Mica Egnater TOLs and matching 2x12. So far, I'm extremely impressed. I owned one of the Rocktron versions and it was a very nice amp. (For $800-900 used they're a serious Marshall/Mesa/etc. killer.) I always wondered if there was any truth to the originals being better, or if that was just the standard "it's older, so must be better" vintage snobbery. It's definitely different and I think mostly for the better, though it lacks some bells-n-whistles on the Rocktron version (no parallel loop and no reverb). The most interesting thing about it is that all four channels are unique, but excellent sounding, and all of the switching options on them are very musical. That's something I haven't found in any other complex multi-channel head.

So far, I've only played it through the open back 2x12 that I got with it. That's very nice for clean sounds and classic sounds. I'm anxious to get back in the studio with my 4x12(s) and try the gain channels there. They're a little too unfocused now, but I'm guessing that's the cab and not the amp.

Ross

Re: Bought an Eganter TOL

POST SOME CLIPS!

Arrrggggh Ross... I'm about to look for one of these things now, since you're giving it such a good review, and I know you have good taste in amps and guitars... when my wife kills me, I'm sending you the bill for my funeral.

Pete

Comment

I'm that little devil standing on your shoulder saying, "You can afford another Pete. Don't be a wuss and fear the wife." Heh, heh. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This amp is definitely what I'd want in a cover band. The four channels are plenty of variety to cover everything in that context. I love the amp, but I still have some doubts as to whether it's the answer for where I'm going or not. I'd always wanted to try one, so when it came up I blew part of my SLO budget on it to give it a good workout.

I'm putting together a new band and the other guitar player has some serious recording equipment. I'll try to get some clips of it over the next couple of weeks. (Mixer is in the shop unfortunately.) Is your amp/clip page still around? I lost it when I had to reinstall Explorer.

Meantime, here's some pics I got from the seller (it ain't that green here!):

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/MVC-002F.JPG

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/MVC-001F.JPG

Ross

Comment

I´m thinking about getting a Rocktron TOL100, purely from reading the specs. I´ve never played one, but a four-channel amp with MIDI-switching is just what I need in a live-situation. And since the general consencus seem to be that they sound good, although apparently not as good as a real Egnater, I´ll probably pick one up next month. If I hate it, I´ll always get my money back selling it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ January 19, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Dave L ]

Comment

For a live situation where you need four good, solid sounds you can't go wrong. I really can't say for sure if the original sounds better than the Rocktron version or not. It's been 3 years since I owned the Rocktron one so there's no way I could argue one way or the other. The additon of the parallel effects loop and reverb in the Rocktron version is definitely a bonus. The midi switching is a very nice thing too. I did take full advantage of that before when I ran a decent sized rack (8 full spaces) of gear in the loop and switched everything together. If you can get the Rocktron version for $800 you'll have no problem getting your money back. I've seen a lot of them push $900 on ebay so you probably won't loose much if you pay that. You might keep an eye out for an original. I've seen them sell for as little as $1100.

Ross

Comment

Wow, that's more than a fair price. The GC is a nice unit. I had one with the GCX for several years (it controlled the above rack). You can't go wrong with the trusty Intellifex. I had one of those for years too. (Anyone else getting them impression that I've owned way to much gear! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

I just found out that the guy I bought mine from does have the Egnater controller and a set of matched Tuki covers - the ones with 1/2" foam padding inside them. I decided to pick those up also. Since I sold the midi pedal I could only switch between two channels on the fly with my single latching switch.

Enjoy it and let us know what you think.

Ross

Comment

I´ve got one coming my way for $800 (including a Voodoo Labs Ground Control) which I think is a pretty fair price. It will assume all live-duties, and hopefully be a nice addition to the recording-lineup as well. I won´t run a full rack with it, though, but probably just my trusty old Intellifex [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info, Ross!

Comment

Yeah, it´s a nice deal. The guy selling it could never get used to all the channels and knobs and such, so he´s selling it and getting something with just one channel instead. Kinda makes you wonder why he bought it (especially since he didn´t run any MIDI-controlled FX) in the first place? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When I´ve spent some time with it, I´ll post some clips and give a full review. Thanks for all the assuring words! It´s always a risk buying something untested, but now I feel at ease [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

David

Comment

Now you'll get it, be displeased with it, and think "I'm never going to listen to that tone deaf SOB again!" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I bought the Rocktron TOL that way also. I'd read the reviews and all but that was it, and I decided to just take a chance. After a couple of years of using it regularly I just drifted back to my old Marshall 2203 for some reason and decided to sell the TOL. The guy on the other end got it, retubed the whole thing and said it brought it completely back to life. I felt like an idiot. Moral: never sell a tube amp that's lost its magic for you, until you try some fresh tubes in it!

I actually understand where your seller is coming from. I'm a little that way. I have a tendancy with these to try to work all four channels in when naturally I'd be very happy with a two channel amp and just adjusting things on the fly with the guitar volume control. I did play mine through my 4x12 last night and it really came to life for heavier music, so I'm very happy right now.

Ross

Comment

The guy selling retubed it about two-three months ago, and it has just done recording-work since then, so I won´t have to do that for a while. If i dislike it, which I won´t, I´ll try retubing it with some different pre-amptubes just to be on the safe side. If that doesn´t work, however, THEN you´re a tonedeaf SOB for tricking me into getting it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, I only need three channels, so the second channel ("not-quite-clean") is just a bonus in my book [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I´ll probably spend the first weeks writing stuff which utilize all four channels and literally hundreds of effectsprograms, until I come to my senses again [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X