Has anybody here played a Orange Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody here played a Orange Amp?

What do they sound like? Would they be good for Metal/Hard Rock? I think I remember see one (or two, I'm not sure) in the Black Sabbath video for "Paranoid", so I thought I would check them out.

Nek

Re: Has anybody here played a Orange Amp?

I too have wondered what an orange sounds like.

From what i've heard they sound like an older marshall, perhaps a jcm 800, and that they respond very well to pedals, etc.

Cant say ive ever heard one though, and i also would like any info on these amps! They sure look cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That's basically what I have heard.

Here is a link to their webpage:

Orange Amps (www.orange-amps.com)

Come on guys, somebody has to have heard something about these amps.
      I am thinking about getting a AD140TC, it's a two channel 140watt head.

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Nek

Comment

I`ve played an Orange amp. Well, I had only the head exactlly. Can`t remember which model it was. It was at least 9 years ago. I had an impression it was OK for Rock/Hard Rock, but I play harder styles, so it was not for me.

Comment

I've played vintage, and recent Orange amps (not owned)...let's just say the vintage ones are the quintessential "stoner/doom metal" amp. Very fat and sludgy sounding. Kinda like a Marshall JMP that's gained quite a bit of weight.
          It was Tony Iommi's amp of choice back in the Sabbath heyday.

They have a very full rich tone, unlike a Marshall, and lack crunch at high volumes. Not recommended as a shredder amp by any means.

Comment

Check out MatAmp, too. http://www.matamp.com/
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Orange also has a discussion board. http://www.orangeamps.com/forum/
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here you go:

http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUB...c;f=4;t=000500

Sound clips in that thread, remember that a lot of these home made recordings don't fully portray the tone and other aspects of a tube amp.

Also, it appears that this amp has been modded.

Here's a link to the forum on which I found those clips:

http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Comment

Here in Sweden I see quite a bit of newer Orange-amps floating about. I think they´re great vintage (1960-1970) rock amps, and therefore they are somewhat low on gain and not suitable for metal, 80s rock or virtually any more "modern" sounds. I don´t think they sound very JCM800-like...the Oranges sound "older" than that.

Comment

They are really great for old vintage stuff as well as rock and blues. I am gettin an Orange cab this summer, I cant wait. They have a very very righ and full tone, tons of balls.

Comment

Working...
                    X