Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Special Saddle Upgrade

Problem:
    The zinc alloy saddles on the floyd rose special (FRS) in my KEXMG recently stopped being able to clamp the strings in place at the bridge. This was because the metal in the saddles was softer than the strings and when the strings were clamped down contact stresses made an impression in the string seat of the saddle. Eventually, this turned into a deep groove which prevented the strings from being compressed radially and prevented having enough clamping force to hold the strings in place when using the tremolo for pull-ups and bends. I figured this would happen based on reviews from others, and because the floyd would sometimes go out of tune on large pull-ups due to the strings slipping and I would have to tighten up the locking screws.

Solution:
    I went on the Floyd Rose website to order new saddles and was going to get the Original Floyd Rose (OFR) ones but they were out of stock. I didn't want to get the FRS saddles because it would only be a temporary fix. Fortunately, Floyd Rose also carries replacement saddles for the Floyd Rose 1000 (FR1000) which cost less than the OFR saddles but are the same material. The only difference between OFR and FR1000 is the country of manufacture so I ordered the FR1000 saddles and have installed them on my FRS. Floyd Rose also states that the FR1000 saddles are an upgrade for the FRS saddles. For what it's worth, all the different Floyd Rose bridge parts should be compatible. The only difference between them are materials, and where they are made.

Results:
    The installation was simple. The FR1000 saddles are a drop in replacement for the FRS ones so no extra work was required. I marked the locations of the old saddles so I wouldn't have to reset the intonation and when I got everything back together and tuned up it was pretty much bang on. See the photos below for side by side comparison of the different saddles and the final installation.

I am super happy with the replacement saddles! Quality is great and now my strings are locked in place. I don't see what an extra $30 USD for the OFR saddles would have provided. I was used to tightening the locking screws every few weeks or so, but every time I have checked the new saddles since installation the the screws have been snug. Now I have no worries about the strings slipping when doing full-step bends and pull-ups (I am pretty abusive on the pull-ups). All in all, I love the FRS and this upgrade makes it even better.

Remarks:
    I was also planning to get a brass sustain block to replace the zinc one on the FRS, but the Floyd Rose website was out of those too. I am curious to see the difference the brass sustain block would make. One other thing I noticed is the KEXMG has a 34 mm sustain block but Floyd Rose only makes 32, 37, and 42 mm ones. Additionally, I had my hands on a RRX24 and the FRS sustain block in that was only 32 mm. Are the body thicknesses different between rhoads and kelly, or any of the flat Jacksons for that matter? The 32 mm sustain block makes the springs sit at a bit of an angle, whereas the 34 mm one lets the springs sit more parallel with the back of the guitar. Sustain block length shouldn't make too much of a difference functionally, you just need to make sure it allows enough clearance for the springs into the spring route, and you will need to tighten the springs more with a shorter sustain block (T=Fd).

Essentially both these upgrades will turn a FRS into a OFR. Some may say the tolerances are better on the OFR, but my FRS feels more responsive than the OFR on my friends USA soloist. There is less play in my FRS trem arm and it just feels more solid than the OFR. I guess if the FRSs are mass produced in Asia there is a better chance for defects to get through and that is why the FRS gets a bad rep.

Anyways, that is my report on FRS saddle replacement and I hope it can help anyone else wondering about the FRS bridges.

FRS Saddle. Note the groove in the string seat. FR1000 is to the left.

New FR1000 Saddle. FRS is to the right.

Left: FR1000 saddle, Right: FRS saddle

Left: FR1000 saddle, Right: FRS saddle

Installed FR1000 saddles.

Installed FR1000 saddles.

KEXMG FRS with FR1000 saddles.
    2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
    Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
    Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
    Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that using the FRS is an improvement over the previous licensed bridges. At least the dimensions are the same so you can upgrade to an OFR, or like in this case just replace the saddles since I believe the FRS baseplate is still hardened steel.

You can also easily replace the arm and holder assembly with the one from an OFR. I've had issues fitting the barrel for the arms into the 1000 series original floyd (korean-made one) even though they fit fine into the OFR and FRS baseplates. Weird.

Glad it worked out! I'd imagine this would work wonderfully.

Comment

I had the same problem with one of my RRXMGs, soft zind saddle shells had deep grooves very quickly. I replaced them with Schaller (OFR) saddles, and then the wonky trem bar and bushing also with Schaller parts. I also replaced sustain block with 32mm brass Schaller block. Little later I bought a Schaller Lockmeister base plate, and now I have a black Jackson RRXMG with gold Schaller Lockmeister. Perhaps I should have bought a complete Lockmeister trem set at the first place, but at least I got it cheaper than an OFR.

I think all Lockmeister, OFR, FRT and FRS parts are interchangeable.
      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

From what I hear between MIK and MIG is that maybe the qc and quality of steel might be better with the MIG. And by all accounts the FR1000 is an upgrade from the FRS.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love this marketing (from https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-wrx24-natural ):

"Jackson didn't give the X Series Warrior WRX24 just any tremolo, they went for the real deal: a Floyd Rose Special. The Floyd Rose Special on this instrument is an authentic Floyd Rose design, which gives you the same design as an original vintage Floyd Rose model, plus the advantage of lightweight zinc alloy components. You can dive-bomb, whammy, and flutter with the peace of mind that comes with a double-locking tremolo."

https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Upgraded a zinc alloy sustain block in my son’s MM JP16. We ultimately went to a Tungsten block for him, but installed a spare brass block that I had lying around while we waited for FR to get the Tungsten back in stock. There was a noticeable, positive difference. Once we got the Tungsten block and installed it, the difference was remarkable.

The tungsten lets you get the mass of a brass big block in a standard sized block thus retaining pull ups. There is also a voice to the Tungsten that myself and both of my sons (who are metal guitarists themselves) really like, especially when in overdrive.

Comment

Working...
            X