Which effects to buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which effects to buy.

I have narrowed it down to three products..

Line 6 POD
    Zoom GFX-8
    Boxx GT-6

Any suggestions ? If so, please state your reason with your preference..

I will be using in with my Jackson DK2S and Peavey Special 112 (160watts with 1x12)

Thanks..

Re: Which effects to buy.

I think Boss products are better than anything else. Honestly, I've never played through Boss, but their reputation preceeds them. I've owned a Zoom GFX-8 and it died on me after a few months. Then I owned a Yamaha DG Stomp which died on me. So now I've decided to go with individual pedals. They definitely cost more, but the good thing is you can buy them one at a time and in a few months, have a great setup. I've come to the conclusion that having a multi-effects unit is the same as having all your eggs in one basket. The box dies, you lose everything. I'm playing a DK2 with a Peavey Special 212 (very gig-worthy), and I've got a few pedals on the way. For $250, I got a Rocktron Tsunami chorus pedal, a Rocktron Rampage distortion pedal, and a Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal. For the same price, you could get a Zoom GFX-8, but if it's not reliable, you have to replace every effect. If a single pedal is unreliable, only that pedal has to be replaced. I guess it's a question of your personal values. I play out at clubs, so I've got to have reliable equipment, but I'm also not rich, so I've got to have inexpensive equipment, and I've got to be able to replace it quickly and inexpensively. Single pedals seem to be the way to go.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I have a GT-6. I haven't tried the other two, but I've heard clips from the POD. I wasn't entirely impressed with the POD clips. Plus, the GT-6 is floor-controlled if that's important to you... maybe the POD is footswitchable but I wouldn't know because I haven't personally tried a POD before.

With the GT-6, you can really create endless sounds. I haven't had much time to play with it lately, but from the tones I've been able to get so far, I'm pretty impressed.

Here's a full cover song I recorded mostly using my GT-6. The same thing is available in the MP3 section of the JCF. My bassist brother used his GT-6B. Acoustic guitar and terrible vocals were done by me, using a computer microphone. Keyboards were direct, but I could have used any of the synth effects that the GT-6 provided...
      Iced Earth cover - "A Question Of Heaven"

Basically, the big Jon Schaffer tone didn't come out the way I wanted on the computer, so I sort of re-sculpted it, and now it sounds a little like the "Alive In Athens" tone rather than the "Tribute To The Gods" tone that I had originally sculpted on the GT-6 for when I use my amp's speaker.

Comment

I have/had a Pod and I now use the Boss GT-6. My cousin has a Zoom GF-X. The GT-6 is so much better in terms of flexability, tone, limitless effects. The POD sounds good, but not nearly like the GT-6 which is why I dumped the POD. The Zoom, I think, is a lame "me too" product. It took me about two weeks of tweaking to get the overdrive and clean sound that I was after. Once I got those I just dump on the effects as needed. Most, if not all the factory presets on the GT-6 are disappointing. If you base your opinion on the out of the box sound - you will not like the GT-6. Once you tweak it and have exhausted your patience you will, I think, love it.

Comment

well thanks for all the info. It seems from this post, that i'll be going with the gt-6. I have a good bit of patience, or I wouldnt even be playing guitar right lol. Well, taxes will be back within the week, so i'll be ordering it soon.

I'll let you all know what I think about it then. Till then, if anything else comes to mind, please post it here or email me at this address.

Thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by vitovanhalen:
            Most, if not all the factory presets on the GT-6 are disappointing.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You couldn't be more right! But I had to base my purchase on those factory presets, otherwise I would have had to sit in the store for a whole afternoon trying out custom tones, which would have been a huge waste of time for me.

Some of the more unusual factory presets are pretty neat in demonstrating what the GT-6 can do. All the distortion presets suck ass to my ears, but the things like the flute and slow-gear effects were kinda cool! I find the slicer effect and the auto-riff effect useless though.

Comment

Working...
            X