Marshall 4500 Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 4500 Head?

I am probably gonna trade my 5150 for a Marshall 4500, I love the sound of my buddies 100 watt JCM 900, but Im wondering if anyone has any opinions on this particular head. Its an '89 I think. What kind of overdrive pedal would match up well with it for an saturated metal tone?

Re: Marshall 4500 Head?

ok, so no one on this board has heard/played a 50 watt JCM 900?

Comment

That would be the 50 watt dual reverb?

Well, I used to run a couple 100 watt 4100s. I ended up getting rid of them for two 5150s!!! haha...

But, a guy that played my rig one liked it so much he went out and bought the 50 watt version, and it really didn't sound as good as mine rig. We played them next to each other and they sounded different, and he took it back the next and got the 4100...

I used a cheapo Nady 201 wireless at that time as a preamp to heat up the input to get more edge and crunch. I also used a BBE 422a and a Rockman EQ to get the rig to really shine. I got lotsa compliments on the rig. Lotta guys said it was the best 900 sound they'd heard.

I liked the 5150 better, they were more brutal sounding. But, the Marshalls had a sweeter lead tone to me. I sold the 5150s and went to a Marshall rack setup to get that lead sound back... That wasn't a great idea it seems...

Now, it's a CAE3+se and a VHT2150... Sigh..

Comment

LOL! Thats interesting, I love the brutality of the 5150, totally, but I want more, well, tone, less gain, more texture. The 5150 highs are a little brittle, and it has a resonance you cant dial out. I think Im just gonna sell here and opt for another 50 watter. 100 isnt any louder to my ears, and that power amp aunch is what I love.

Comment

Working...
        X