Recording Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Help needed

I am looking for some advice and hope someone can help. I want to record my guitar and vocals into my laptop. I purchased a PODxt to record my guitar with using a USB interface but there are no drivers for this as of yet so I attempted to use the mic in on my laptop but that will not work as it is not a line in. I thought about getting a creative labs Extigy external sound card and I assume that would work for the guitar, but how would I get vocals recorded? I have seen another product called the “Mbox” but would that be worth $500 considering that once the PODxt USB drivers are out I would no longer need it for guitar recording (I think) and it would just be for vocals. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Re: Recording Help needed

Try using the line in instead. It looks like this (( <- )) -
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

The laptop only has mic in, no line in [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Buy a new soundcard. You can get a decent one for relatively cheap--you probably don't need the fancy top 'o the line card for you want to do. Even your basic SoundBlaster card should have an analog line input.

Comment

USB XT drivers are supposed t be out THIS month.. might want to hold off a bit.

pete

Comment

If you're looking for something that's more of a dedicated recording card, I know that Echo came out with a laptop version of one of their cards.
            sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about using another device to record vocals. I am not familiar with the features of the XT, but the POD 2.0 has a "tube preamp" model that works great for recording vocals on your computer. If the XT still has that amp model then all you will need is a microphone - I used a Radio Shack mic to record demos until I could afford to upgrade.

Comment

Here's something that I've done to hook my guitar to my computer:

buy a 1/4" female to a mini plug.
                Hook up your guitar/mic to the pod, and use the output to go to the adapter.
                You should be able to use the mic in for this.

sound quality isn't that great, but it works if your sending your stuff to a friend. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X