DSL 100 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 100 Head

Whats everyone think of the JCM DSL's? Especially in a loud, live situation has anyone any experiences with 'em?

Re: DSL 100 Head

Had one, like it so much I sold it...

Comment

Do you dig the marshall tone, or does this head just not have any? Ive heard some good things, but I know JCF folks know about good high gain tone. What sucked about it? Or rather, what was not impressive?

Comment

K, let's understand I'm a rack fag. So, I'm kinda biased against crappy amps... And certainly someone will stand up and say how great they are... They're really not though IMO...

For as expensive as the Marshall was, it was pretty dull sounding, no depth, with no real character. Not defined, or nice sounding... Even a 900 is a nicer sounding amp IMO. They warranty work is pitiful, unless done locally.

The new Marshalls are crapfully made with low grade parts. Marshall really hasn't made a kick ass amp since 87...And even those were cheaply made actually. But, they sounded good and worked well.

For half the money buy a 5150... It has a better metal sound, not "quite" as versatile, but the metal tone is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
          K, let's understand I'm a rack fag. So, I'm kinda biased against crappy amps... And certainly someone will stand up and say how great they are... They're really not though IMO...

For as expensive as the Marshall was, it was pretty dull sounding, no depth, with no real character. Not defined, or nice sounding... Even a 900 is a nicer sounding amp IMO. They warranty work is pitiful, unless done locally.

The new Marshalls are crapfully made with low grade parts. Marshall really hasn't made a kick ass amp since 87...And even those were cheaply made actually. But, they sounded good and worked well.

For half the money buy a 5150... It has a better metal sound, not "quite" as versatile, but the metal tone is great.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heres my two cents,
          Cleve is a rack fag so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          As for how it sounds, it sounds like a Marshall. So if you like the sound of Marshalls as I do it sounds great, better imo than a 900 certainly, when it works.
          John is right, Marshalls are crapfully made nowadays and that is no joke. If you want a new Marshall, buy it and send it to Voodoo Amps in New York and have Trace Allen fix it so it can withstand the rigors of the road and you will be set.
          For half the money you can have a 5150 and it does have a great metal sound if you like the sound of Peaveys.

Good luck in your hunt

Comment

OK, I'm NOT a rack fag and I say the DSLs and TSLs are horrible sounding.

'Nuff Said!

Used 5150 or Soldano HR.

Comment

5150's Are only good for playing super high gain stuff. Otherwise, they are a bunch of crappy noise. Not versatile at ALL.

I have a DSL, and yes it was modded, but so is all this expensive crap the guys swear by who hate Marshalls. I had a better trans former put in it and changed the crappy tubes, and it sounds 1000 times better than it did stock.

I use it in high volume situations,and that is the only way it sounds great. I also have to point out ( again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) that I use a BBE with my setup. The Marshall however is a Marshall sound Duh,if you don't like it , you won't like the DSL.

As far as verstility, I use a Boss GE-7 with the clean channel, and I can get about 4 different types of sound with it depending on the modes used. From very clean and clear, to a Hendrix type crunch, to a very Randy Rhoads like tone. It is not good for super high gain or death metal type stuff.

I needed to add the boss eq cause it only has one set of EQ for both channels [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've had it for over a year and have had no problem with it, and I haul it bsck and forth to practice etc.

I hope this helps you, instead of just saying yea, it's great, or flaming it cause I don't use one, Just try one out, but as I said , it HAS to be turned up to sound good.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

While I was writing that, in the back of my head, I knew it would draw Rick out!!! hahaha...

Let's understand, I LOVE the sound of a an old screaming Marshall... It is THE sound...

Seriously though, The DSL/TSL are a $1100/$1300 dollar amp that people are buying new, and sending it out for mods to make it sound good (how much is that?) and be more reliable... AND using an EQ... Hmm...

My CAE3+se/VHT2150 rig cost me $1900 ($1100 and $800 respectively) and ABSOLUTELY kills ANY Marshall... AT ALL VOLUME LEVELS, including whisper quiet!! A SLO100 or Bogner Ecstacy is around $1800 and absolutely kills Marshalls too... Hmmm... All three of these rigs have tone to die for.. I just can't recommend a New Marshall considering the above...

Sorry to bash your amp Rick...

[ January 07, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Thanks for the info, and by the way I have a 5150, and have been trying to sell it on this board for a while. I cant put my finger on why I want to sell it, Ive had it for 2 years, and I still think it cool, I just want a spongier, well, more toneful tone, I only need half the 5150's gain, and I want more EQ. After all youve said, I understand why everybody and their mama are selling the DSL and TSL series. Im gonna get probably $500 or so out of the 5150, so what would be a nice option if Ive got like $5-6 hundred bucks for a used amp head? I was thinking about a used Mesa 50. Caliber off da'bay, those are nice sounding, best deal mesa ever had! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

John,

You are definately right about the Marshalls costing WAY too much. Luckily I got mine brand new for 900.00 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I also think that EVERYTHING is way overpriced nowadays though.

I have been able to duplicate the EVH sound from the Fairwarning days, so I guess I'm lucky enough to have gotten the older Marshall sound out of my Mods, which were only about 150.00

As I said before, I don't think that they are any good for the stuff that you play anyway, so I can see why you don't like them. Besides, I don't want to sound like everyone else anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] so if noone else wants them, then I have no fear HAHAHA.

Comment

The best post JCM800 head I've owned has been a... VALVESTATE! Heheh - kinda sad when a solid state amp sounds better than your all tube 'flagship' heads.

pete

Comment

Pete,

I had a VALVESTATE , one of the older Bi-chorus ones, and it did sound amazing, even with a guitar with Duncan designeds in it. It was the sound I was looking for all along. But when I first tried to use it in a live situation, once I got it past 3, it sounded TERRIBLE. It was very thin and just plain aweful sounding.

By contrast , my DSL sounds horrible until you reach about 4 or 5 on it.

Comment

This one is#an 8100 100 watt head (yeah, the one on ebay) but it seems to hold up pretty well at loud volume, imho. Haven't gigged with it - bought it to see what the buzz was - they are really held onto pretty tightly. I like it better than the JCM 900 I had.

Haven't messed with a DSL, but a friend has a TSL that's a decent amp. I like my recto better, but it's not bad at all. It's his 3rd amp tho - the construction quality on his was subpar.

pete

Comment

Be a little careful here in comparing the TSL and DSL. The lead channel of the DSL is different from both the lead and crunch channels of the TSL and does sound different. The construction quality is similar and I agree that the quality on these is very lacking.

There are a lot of amps I'd take over the Marshall JCM2000 and JCM900s. If you want a Marshallesque sound, I'd still vote for one of the Hot Rod series Soldanos - less features, more tone. I used to have one of the Rocktron Egnater TOL100s and it kills anything else in it's price range for tone, usable features, etc. IMO. They can be had used for $800-900. The Rivera M series amps (I think - double-check me on the model) are aimed at a similar market, and are very well built and sound good.

Good luck,

Ross

Comment

Yea , I have heard that the TSL, and DSL are totally different, and I can't speak for the TSL.

Comment

Working...
                              X