Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5150: I should have bought one years ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150: I should have bought one years ago...

I finally got a 5150 combo (heavy aren't they!). I bought it today and did my first band practice tonight with it, you might have heard me, I've never heard something that sounds that aggressive! I usually use a Marshall JCM800 MV50 with an Ibanez Tube Screamer (still my favourite sound), but the 5150 is something else altogether, I'm hooked! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: 5150: I should have bought one years ago...

you really need to hear a head through a good 4x12.. very nice! The clean isn't that great, but the overdrive can sound very good. Peavey biases them cold, so you might want to see a tech and have a bias adjustment put in there, and get some better tubes in it - you'll end up with a much better amp.

pete

Comment

Have you ever heard of Maxion pedals? Well they designed the Ibenhead "TUBE SCREAMER". If you actually open up a tube screamer it actually saya, "MAX" on the inside some where. They have there version of the tube screamer, and to my ear it sounds like a SUPER improved tube screamer. You might might want to check them out.

Comment

Yea 5150 with 4x12 real sounds huge and great.
        I love the way it sounds.

Comment

Listen to pete, he knows what he's talkin' about... [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice one Sean mate.
            Where did you get it from (I'm in the UK too see) and if you dont mind me asking, how much did you put out for it?
            Cheers.

James

Comment

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              $695 for a stack like that!? Wow! I didn't even think that was possible, even used. You crazy, lucky bastard. I envy you! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, you did get ripped off on the $60 ticket though.

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Why was the straight cab more than the slant cab?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                  Why was the straight cab more than the slant cab?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I bought the stack separately. I bought the straight cab at a local pawn shop, actually for $215. I got the head and the slant cab at an EZ PAWN in Denver while visiting family this past week. They had two heads and actually wanted $359 for one, $459 for the other, and $300 for the slant cab.

I talked the sales person down to $320 and then asked what was the best price for the slant cab. She replied half off, so I jumped at it. The price with tax was $505.

Anyway I didn't have a guitar to try it out with until I visited Guitar Center and got a smokin deal on a PRS Custom 22 for $999.98 . The guitar was brand new and still had a price tag of $2499, but they had on sale for some odd reason.

Anyway I went back to my parents place in tried it out with the 5150 and noticed that the head had some issues. It would cut off and all sound was taken over by a loud buzzing noise. So I called up the Pawn Shop and they agreed to exchange evenly for the more expensive head, which was in MINT condition. It didn't even have a scratch or anything.

So I took home and I noticed that it too had some issues. The volume would cut off suddenly and then return. I researched it and it turned out to be a preamp tube. When I got home from Denver I replaced two tubes and NOW IT ROCKS .
                  Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Can you say full stack.

--------------------------------------------
                    Used 5150 Head ..................$320
                    Used 5150 Slant .................$150
                    Used 5150 Straight cab ..........$225

Ticket for Noise pullution ...... $60

[ January 07, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Keith Gutierrez ]
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Colin, I got it from Peter Oakley Music in Burton-upon-Trent. I did loads of ringing around trying to find one used or new. I paid £800 for it brand new. This will probably shock our American friends, but it's the same situation with these as it is with USA Jackson, over-priced to the UK. I tried out everything Marshall had to offer in their new range, but the Peavey blew them all away. The MK2 5150 combo is £1150, which would have been an option if anyone had had them in stock, but I'm not too bothered about having a dedicated clean channel. The rhythm channel on my 5150 will go completely clean anyway, if you like that sort of thing. I just wanted a good combo where I could boost my solo's without changing my sound, the 5150 is perfect. I am not going to bother running it through a 4x12, as I prefer the sound of 2x12, hence me looking for a 2x12 combo. No pedals either! I thought it would take wild horses to drag me away from my Tube Screamer, but it is now completely unnecessary, 5150's have more gain than you could possibly handle, and it's not fizzy gain like the new valve Marshall's. All in all, this amp makes me sound like I know what I'm doing! I have an SL1 with Seymour Duncan's and an SL1 with EMg's, it doesn't seem to matter which one I use, the amp does all the work. Oh, and the harmonic feedback is incredible.

Comment

Working...
                      X