Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Valvestate repairs

Alright lads.
    Im getting a broken 80w Valvestate amp from my cousin for like nowt and Im gonna repair it myself. What are the chances that Ill open it up and then it'll do something to like make me die?
    Cheers

James

Re: Marshall Valvestate repairs

pretty good really. Any chances you'll be bequeathing your Charvel to me? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

LMAO [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Maybe...... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Was that serious? Are they pretty dangerous to fool around with?
      [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      James

Comment

I swapped the tube out of my AVT50 before I got rid of it, no problems. It was kind of a pain to get the head out of the cabinet, but I managed. I just unplugged it, and tore in to it.

Comment

Ah right.
          Cheers Kev. What do they sound like? As sh*t as Im supposed to believe?

James

Comment

Early valvestates sound great... mine is on ebay, or about to be. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I'd say that if you have to ask what the chances are that you'd die, then you'll probably either fuq yourself up or the amp even worse than it already is. Do you even know what's wrong, or are you going to just go fishing in there?

-Kyle

Comment

Cool. Cheers Pete!
                Hehe, Im going for the fishing around approach. I dont have it as yet, but when I get it, Im gonna go over it and re-solder everything etc, and make sure all the connections are right. And then when it still doesnt work, burn it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Nah Ill probably take it to a shop then if I cant make it work.

James

Comment

Most people say to wait 15 to 20 minutes before attempting to open up a tube amp, I am not sure about a solid state. I just took my 5150 to to check all the ribbon cables and install new preamp tubes.
                  Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Aha.
                    Thanks mate

James

Comment

I just moved cross-country, and shipped my Valvestate 8040 combo because I had no room in my van. I got here, unpacked it
                      and it powered up, but no sound! I basically have no tech skills, but also no $ right now, so I pulled the chassis out, and the clip that holds the tube had popped off; the tube was 1/8" out of its socket. I plugged the tube back in, and voila! She lives!

I hope it's that easy for you, too! Good
                      luck, and wear some rubber-soled shoes!
                      Don't work on it barefoot either! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Haven't heard from James in a few days. I hope he hasn't set himself alight. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Lol, no, I havnt even got the bloody amp yet. My waster cousin doesnt seem to get back to me whenever I mention the amp.
                          I WANT IT GODDAMMIT!!!
                          [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

James
                          It'll take more than electricity for me to let you have my Charvel Gary, Hehehe [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hope you get it soon great amp man ! I have had 2 heads [vs 1 and vs 2 series] and I had the 80 watt combo as well , sometimes it's just dirty pots [use contact cleaner] or the preamp tube goes [12ax7] try puting a good [lol] sovtech tube in there thats what I did sounded great the JJ pre amp tubes sound good in there too . oh I had the vs200 bichours as well but it bombed bad ! lol //Steve

Comment

I have the 80-watt 2x12 (8240 stereo chorus combo) and it's still going strong since I bought it in the early '90s! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X