Fishman Fluence Classic Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishman Fluence Classic Pickups

Has anyone tried these? I am looking to replace my JB and I am hoping that if I do get the bridge classsic humbucker it would be very similar to a passive sound, I really love the PAF sound and it has an extra boost with push-pull that could be similar to a JB?

The tone knob is suppose to be push pull, but can I just use the tone pot and take the cap off? On Satchels new signature model it just has a volume so I am guessing that's what he did?

I tried the EMG-57 before and didn't like that pickup, really bland and flat. I found the old JB to be superior in every way, the EMG-57 was very DRY...Even the 81 was much more exciting.

I have a couple 6-string guitars with the Fluence Modern pickups so I can't answer your question if the Classic version in PAF voicing would be similar to passive sound, but I can offer some thoughts on the Fluence pickups.

I like the fluence pickups much better than EMGs. To me the Fluences sound more 'passive' than 'active' the way EMGs sound. The Fluence have a lot more options than EMG (Classic has Voice 1/Voice 2, HF Tilt and Coil tap - Modern has same feature set, but adds a gain option that lowers gain by 6db). I like to have a single coil/coil tapped pickup in the neck position, so the fluence pickups help with that and I think the Fluence's neck in coil tap sounds more like a passive pickup, where the EMG single coils or EMG-H (humbucker sized single coil) don't sound as good (or as 'passive') to me.

Suggest reading up on all the specs, look at the lower left side there are several links that explain the pickups and the wiring options.
    https://www.fishman.com/products/ser...bucker-pickup/

The deal with the Fluence push-pull is to select Voice 1 or Voice 2 or to select HF tilt on or off (or you could set up push-pull for coil tap). You will note in their "Classic Humbucker Wiring Diagram" in the link section, they have 2 volumes/2 tones and they set it up so the tone pot push-pull for the Neck tone is the one that switches the voices and the tone pot push-pull for the HF Tilt. You could do the same thing with 2 pickups and just 1 Volume and 1 Tone, the volume pot push-pull for voicing and the tone pot push-pull for HF Tilt for example.

The Satchel has one knob (volume) with the push pull and per the Charvel website, it is set up for 'voice activation'. Per the Fluence webside, the bridge hum has Voice 1 as "Vintage P.A.F. - The ideal, calibrated vintage PAF bridge humbucker tone at the perfect output level" and Voice 2 as "Classic Hot Rod - The quintessential hot rodded bridge humbucker tone without all the baggage".

If you buy these pickups and install in your guitar, you would have to use the supplied pot w/push-pull in either your tone or volume position in order to switch between the voicing options. Note that these pots w/push-pull are 25k ohm (like EMGs). You can't just use your normal 'tone pot and take the cap off' to accomplish the voicing switching (push your tone pot is probably 250k or 500k and wouldn't work in this active pickup application).

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
      I have a couple 6-string guitars with the Fluence Modern pickups so I can't answer your question if the Classic version in PAF voicing would be similar to passive sound, but I can offer some thoughts on the Fluence pickups.

I like the fluence pickups much better than EMGs. To me the Fluences sound more 'passive' than 'active' the way EMGs sound. The Fluence have a lot more options than EMG (Classic has Voice 1/Voice 2, HF Tilt and Coil tap - Modern has same feature set, but adds a gain option that lowers gain by 6db). I like to have a single coil/coil tapped pickup in the neck position, so the fluence pickups help with that and I think the Fluence's neck in coil tap sounds more like a passive pickup, where the EMG single coils or EMG-H (humbucker sized single coil) don't sound as good (or as 'passive') to me.

Suggest reading up on all the specs, look at the lower left side there are several links that explain the pickups and the wiring options.
      https://www.fishman.com/products/ser...bucker-pickup/

The deal with the Fluence push-pull is to select Voice 1 or Voice 2 or to select HF tilt on or off (or you could set up push-pull for coil tap). You will note in their "Classic Humbucker Wiring Diagram" in the link section, they have 2 volumes/2 tones and they set it up so the tone pot push-pull for the Neck tone is the one that switches the voices and the tone pot push-pull for the HF Tilt. You could do the same thing with 2 pickups and just 1 Volume and 1 Tone, the volume pot push-pull for voicing and the tone pot push-pull for HF Tilt for example.

The Satchel has one knob (volume) with the push pull and per the Charvel website, it is set up for 'voice activation'. Per the Fluence webside, the bridge hum has Voice 1 as "Vintage P.A.F. - The ideal, calibrated vintage PAF bridge humbucker tone at the perfect output level" and Voice 2 as "Classic Hot Rod - The quintessential hot rodded bridge humbucker tone without all the baggage".

If you buy these pickups and install in your guitar, you would have to use the supplied pot w/push-pull in either your tone or volume position in order to switch between the voicing options. Note that these pots w/push-pull are 25k ohm (like EMGs). You can't just use your normal 'tone pot and take the cap off' to accomplish the voicing switching (push your tone pot is probably 250k or 500k and wouldn't work in this active pickup application).
      Thanks for this...lots of info.

So it looks like I can use a mini on/on switch instead of using the push-pull pot to switch voicing.

I would only purchasing the bridge Humbucker, so I would just have 1 volume and the mini switch on/on.

Much more bang-for-buck compared to EMG pickups, and personally...I will never buy another EMG again, even my regular JB pickup was superior to the EMG's, at least I found...because it sounded WAY more natural and interesting.
      Last edited by d4rin; 02-02-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, your idea of the mini swtch would work perfectly

Comment

For about two weeks, I had the fluence classics in my Socal and hated them. Somehow, the high end sounded artificial. There was no variance between the notes. I felt like the classics couldn't handle really high gain. Having said that, i played them in a semi hollow, and they sounded great.

Comment

Working...
          X