Line 6 rack pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 rack pod

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used one of these in conjuction with a mesa-boogie poweramp?
    Quite a few people have told me it's a really good set up as the poweramp gives the balls that the Line 6 lacks..
    I've only heard it at low volume [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But it did sound good..

Re: Line 6 rack pod

I have used the pod pro with a mesa boogie 50/50 power amp for a little over a year now. I run it into a carvin legacy 4x12 cab w/ vintage 30's.

I do like the setup alot. It has good as well as bad points to it. For example the clean sounds arent awesome... of course you dont buy a pod and mesa for clean now do you? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also some amp models simply do not cut through in a live situation. The rectifier setting will not cut through at all. However! The brit hi gain model (a marshall JCM 800) cuts very well. Combined w/ the 50/50 i get a great rythim tone. It has more gain than i'll need. It will handle metallica and more. Its a unique sound, blending the marshall and mesa tones nicely. Its my favorite model. The soldano is good as well. Its not awesome for a rythim sound, but a great lead tone that will cut.

Out of all the 'models' i only get about 3 or 4 good tones... but the tones i get are good.

One thing to consider, is that i've found the highs to be rather harsh, and ear piercing. Ive always blamed it on the pod, however after reading on eurotubes.com it might be the stock boogie tubes in my mesa, creating the nasty highs. I will soon be replacing them with JJ tubes. I hope that will fix it. Just a side point, the mesa 50/50 has an excellent presence control. I find myself cutting the highs on the pod and boosting the mesa presence for the highs. It adds a little more mesa grind to that marshall setting.

As far as balls go, the mesa will give you more than enough. All in all i like the setup alot. What other preamps are you considering? If you need any other info, lemme know! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I had the same setup (Pod Pro + Mesa 50/50 + Vintage 30 loaded 4X12) and wasn't to impressed. Just didn't push enough air for me. You REALLY need to try it for yourself as everyone's idea of "Good Tone" differs.

Comment

everyone's idea of "Good Tone" differs.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could say that again! hehe...

Comment

To each his own!

Although i do like it, it is missing something. Im considering replacing the pod with a soldano SP-77 or a mesa rectifier preamp... but i think we've had this conversation before troy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hahahah I was feeling a bit of DeJaVu myself. heheheh

Comment

Sorry if I've reiterated a recent topic. I don't log on often.

Thanks for the help nevertheless. I think I'll have to try it out because the rectifier setting is one of my favourite sounds (after tweaking...like I always do)

Also...one more question (Hijacking my own thread..lol) My mate has lent me a Digitech 2112 Studio Guitar System, a rack mount effects unit.

I've been mucking around with it..but cant seem to get a decent warm distortion...it always seems harsh and treble-filled. Even if you EQ it, it still sounds really harsh.

Anyone know if it's just the way it is? or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

I also ran a pod pro and mesa 50/50 through mesa recto cabs with vintage 30s.It sounded horrible.When I would try to get the cab emeulator to work it just sounded horrible.I would always bypass the cab emeulation thats how bad it was.Its not the amp thats the problem.When you run line 6 products you need to use there cabs.They are a flat response speaker.Meaning that they have no perticular sound of there own thats why the cab emeulation sounds goood through them.If you use any other speaker it wount sound like its supposed to.

Comment

Why would you be trying to use the cab emulator when you have it running through a cab anyway? The emulator is for when you are recording.

-Kyle

Comment

Cabinet emulation is a bad bad thing running the pod through a real cabinet.

It took alot of time to get the sounds that i like out of the pod and mesa. However when people completly dog it... i cant see it. It can definatly be better, that is why i want to change it... but it isnt bad. Good tones are to be found, just keep searching. Even if its two or three good tones, they are there.

Comment

I've decided on 2 possible set ups...one of which will be the victor.

1) Line 6 Pod Pro and a Mesa 50/50
                      2) Triaxis + TC Electronics G Force
                      I think I still need a poweramp for the 2nd one? if so then I'd run that tru a Mesa 50/50 as well.

the 2nd one is WAY more expensive...but I think it'll be a better way to go.

But then again...I might hate it! lol

Your thoughts?

Comment

Either way the mesa 50/50 rocks! BTW, you will need a power amp for that triaxis/gforce.

I would recommend getting a g major as opposed to the gforce. Big price difference. Of course it depends on how much you rely on effects.

Triaxis vs pod? I recommend trying them out if you live close to a guitar center or anything. As you can see theres alot of different opinions on the pod. Do you do any home recording? The pod is great for that. Live, it is good, but could be better.

Comment

I'd be using it for both probably...
                          I'll have to audition them both...unfortunately I have to travel a fair distance to do that though
                          [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think I'll go the G Major over the gforce..I do use effects..but not heavily..so the gforce would probably be overkill..

Thanks for the help

Comment

If your mostly a live player the Triaxis will probably be the best sounding of the two at high volumes.

If you do studio or PC recording mostly, you, might be better with the POD Pro... it's mor versatile than the Triaxix and ounds much better direct. Live into power amps, they don't sound so great...

Digital, even when played through a tube amp, just doesn't doesnt that pleasing, or cut so well as a good tube preamp...

And if you're paying a grand for a triaxis, add a couple bucks and buy a real preamp like a CAE3+se for around $1100-$1300...

The POD will still be more usefull in a direct to PC app, but the CAE will kill either in a live amp situation.

Comment

cleveland... you ever play through a soldano sp-77? Or similar soldano preamp?

The price tag on a sp-77 has me tempted.

Comment

Working...
                              X