Zoom GFX8 Multi FX Guitar Modeler Floor Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom GFX8 Multi FX Guitar Modeler Floor Pedal

Anyone have this particular model ? I am thinking of getting it as soon as income taxes come back....

I finally decided on an amp. I got a Peavey Special 112 . Its 160 Watts RMS and has a 12" Scorpion in it. Its brand new still, just out of the box. I got it from a vendor for $160.00 US. Tell me what you think. It has the footswitch and amp cover. I like it and its loud as crap !

J. Hutto...

Re: Zoom GFX8 Multi FX Guitar Modeler Floor Pedal

I used to own a GFX-8. When I was using it, I was going from it into a set of computer speakers and subwoofer system. Like a lot of those types of "modeling" units, it models the whole amp, so to speak, and liked the "transparent" sound of the computer speaker setup. I thought it sounded very good that way. Funny thing, at the time, I had 2 tube amp heads going into each side of a stereo 4x12, pushing the front with a Korg AX1000G. The GFX-8 with the computer speaker setup was actually what made me get frustrated enough with those amp heads to want to get into rack gear. The amp heads setup had about the flexibility of a Little Smokey, and the GFX-8 sounded great throughout its whole range. "$2000 in heads and a cab, and it doesn't work as good as this cheap Zoom setup! Grrrr! There's gotta be a way rack stuff can do this..." Hehehe...

I don't know how well it would work going INTO any amp that would be coloring its sound. I've never had good luck with using these floor units like that, personally. You might do better to get a "transparent" speaker system to use it with, or a solid state reference power amp with matching speakers. A friend of mine has a Behringer V-AMP2 for instance, and I suggested he should check out a transparent sort of speaker setup, and he got one that I believe is actually meant for a home theatre system--receiver and all-- and loves it.

Comment

I have a Peavey Special 212 that I'm currently gigging with. They squeal a lot at loud volumes, but I've found that if I plug a preamp into the "pwr amp in" in the back, it doesn't squeal anymore (uneless I just stop playing period, and then it gradually rises in feedback).

The preamp/effects unit I'm using is the Yamaha DG Stomp. They cost around $150 and, to me, are better than the GFX-8. I used to own a GFX-8, and it was very difficult to program, and the sounds, to me, just weren't that clean/clear. Many of the distortion models sounded robotic, and I had a hard time getting a clean sound that wasn't slightly distorted. As far as Zoom products go, the GFX-8 is probably their top of the line, and compared to other low-end effects units, it probably is the best value. But you might wan't to consider a Boss multi-effects unit, which I hear have much better tone. And check out the DG-Stomp before you decide to buy. It's really doing the trick for me.

--Dan

[ December 30, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: thetruthguy ]
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Thanks..can you post some links to where I can check these pther products out ?

Comment

You can find info on the DGStomp at Yamaha's site www.yamaha.com
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

i love my gfx-8 and play through a marshall valvestate avt 150, i play through the acoustic sim. side and it sounds great, it is a little difficult to get set up but once you do it's great, real clean sounds as well as all kinds of amp sim. stuff
            give it a try [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X