jmp-1 vs. rocktron prophesy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmp-1 vs. rocktron prophesy

I'm trying to remember...I don't think the JMP-1 has any onboard effects, does it? If that's the case, you are really looking at very extremely different units, in that the Prophesy has a full range of effects as well as being a preamp.

Soundwise and use-wise/flexibility-wise, it really depends on what sounds you want out of a unit. If you want straight-ahead just-Marshall kinda tones (but nothing I'd consider "extreme" on its own), then you might like the JMP-1. The Prophesy will do much more sound-wise, but is also somewhat harder for most people to program, with its parametric-EQs (as well as the Voodu Valve) and is much more expensive, as you've pointed out. I just sold my used Prophesy for $700, BTW, and have seen them go for anywhere from just over $600 to about $850 used...and they aren't all that common to find used.

Now, between the Rocktron Voodu Valve and the Prophesy, there's less functional difference, but a good bit of sound difference. The Prophesy has better "features" and is much more forgiving and nicer to program. Again, like the JMP-1, the Voodu Valve is significantly cheaper and much more common to find used. The kicker here is, though the Prophesy costs a lot more, I find that it is easier to get "closer" to Prophesy sounds with the Voodu Valve than it is to get "closer" to Voodu Valve sounds with the Prophesy. I sold my Prophesy and kept my Voodu Valve...mainly because I could get much more $$ out of the Prophesy, and I needed to recop some $$ from buying an Egnater preamp. Sound-wise, the Voodu Valve is much more gutteral, deeper, throater...in some ways, more of what i'd call "amplike sound". But, no matter what I do with it, it always has this trailing off nasty noise sound when I use high-gain settings on it, and what I'd call a "hollowness" to it. The Prophesy, sound-wise, is much more clear, much more defined, and can pretty much be made to be completely void of noise. Its sound is generally much more refined sounding--very crisp--and it would be harder to get it to go into "muddy amp" territory than the Voodu Valve. No matter what, the Prophesy's sound is dead-on, hammer-hard and defined...it doesn't like to go loosey goosey bass-flabby "brutal" like the Voodu Valve does. The Voodu Valve, on the other hand, never seems to get as clear or crisp, nor have quite the definition of the Prophesy. As far as the definition...it can get "sorta close" through creative EQing...but it's not the same character. Both Rocktron units, I think you would find, are much more sensitive and reactive to your playing than the JMP-1, or many other units out there. I'd give the nod of the most sensitive and reactive to the Prophesy, but the Voodu Valve is close behind...just not quite there, and the fact that it doesn't have quite the definition of the Prophesy changes feel as well as perception of feel.

Programming the Prophesy vs the Voodu Valve is also much different. With the Prophesy, you can go into any patch, and program it however you want. You can add any internal effect before the preamp section (even the effects loop), and up to 3 internal effects after the preamp section. Any of them, change them at any time, no sweat, no problem. With the Voodu Valve, you have to select pre-made "patch algorithms", which are a finite number of set linkages for the different effects and preamp type. So, you can't just place internal effects before or after the preamp section as you wish like the Prophesy. It's kind of annoying, but not as bad as units used to be that were designed in this way. The Prophesy also has a nice stereo effects loop. The Voodu Valve has...well...none, though, again, depending on what you're doing with it, this might not matter at all.

Hope some of this helps... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: jmp-1 vs. rocktron prophesy

Excellent post Stu!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

That's umm, pretty much what I meant ya know... [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hehehe...thanks John. Your Voodu Valve committment was what set me finally determined to buy one, I'd been putting it off for a long time. Glad I got it, really...was able to sell the more expensive Prophesy and end up with the VV being able to cop the Prophesy sound I liked "close enough" to not feel too bad about giving it up. Hate having to give up anything, but it wasn't so painful this way hehe. Figured, since you'd wondered, that posting a little more in-depth of one vs. the other, that might be good info for you, too, and maybe helpful to some others.

OH and one other benefit of the VV over the Prophesy...there are lots of patches for the VV that you can download, right off the Rocktron site, and you can use/convert Chameleon patches for the VV, too. If you're into goofing with lots of different sounds for fun, like I am, that's a big bonus. There's hardly anything for the Prophesy anywhere...so you're kinda left out in left field with it on that respect, but I'm always happy to help people dial in sounds if I can.

Comment

Well, we are trying to get my EZboard (link below) off the ground in the amp and tech areas, stop by and say hi!!

It's about good tech and not as much BS as some places. Got a few informed types posting there lately, and it's doing nice... We need smart guys like you

Comment

jmp-1 vs. rocktron prophesy

allright ow that the jmp-1 is as a hell of alot cheaper the the prohesy... but whch has better amp sounds .. does the prophesy's 12ax7 make it sound more like a tube amp.. the main thing I'm concerned about is the possibility that the prophesy and the jmp-1 might sound sterile and fake like my old flextone 2 XL. I really like the rude awakening sound and seriously am considering either one .. is the prophesy worth all the money ? how much does a used one cost blue book says something like $750 used but they never seem to be on ebay so Im not really sure.. I did see one like last month on and it sold for like $900 ...I thought maybe you guys might have an alternate solution to buying one [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know about Rude Awakening. But, if you're looking for heavy, I say, buy a Voodu Valve!!!

They all have tubes in them. But,I personally hate the JMP-1 as it has some weird overtones that I can't get past. But might be heavier than the prophecy, not positive though. The prophecy does a LOT more, and is truly a cool unit for sure. They're both "live" sounding preamps for sure.

Although the Voodu is a little dead sounding in a way, it is so much heavier and brutal than either of the those preamps when dialed in right...

Maybe check it out... Remember that the Voodu Factory presets sucks badly. it's really capable of a lot more... a LOT more...

Comment

Smart guys? You must be talking about cremulator, but I might hop over there and say hi too... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X