Cabinets ... quality ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinets ... quality ...

For those in the know, what do you think about the following cabinets?

Behringer

Rogue

Crate

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive 2X12 or 4X12 cabinet (preferably around $300) to go with my Peavey Special 212 amp. Eventually, I want to move to an amphead, so I want a cabinet that will last.

I appreciate the input.

--Dan
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Cabinets ... quality ...

If you want a cab that will last, and sound good with a quality head, I suggest you choose something of higher quality. For example...there are tons of Marshall-cabs out there, loaded with Celestions, that can be had for little money.

But out of these three, I´d go with the Crate. I´ve tried the Behringer and disliked it, although it looked kinda cool, and I´ve never even heard of a Rogue-cabinet [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

FORGET ALL THOSE CABS!! Go to Avatarspeakers.com and get one of his cabs. They are excellent quality cabinets for the fraction of what you'd have to pay for "name-brand" cabs. YOU choose what speakers you'd like, and he has all the good ones. Dave's a great guy and he'll get you what you need for a good price. I got a really nice 2x10 bass cab, and I know some folks who have gotten the guitar cabs and been more than happy with them, especialy when you consider what they pay.

[ December 30, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

Those Avatar-cabs are really sweet for the money! Why I brought up Marshall-cabs is because they´re readily available anywhere in the world, and can easily be tried out prior to purchase.

Dan, go with the Avatars if you live in the US. A brand new, well built, goodlooking cab with Celestions for around $400 is tough to beat. However, shipping 80lbs overseas isn´t the most economic thing to do.

Comment

Shop around check out pawnshops. I have bought 3 different cabs for less than $300 where I live, El Paso, TX.

1 was a fender stereo Slant HM412 = $225

1 was a 5150 Straight Cab = 225

Today I found the 5150 Sland Cab for $299 in Denver, Co. I asked the salesperson what her best price was and she knocked off 50%, so I paid $150.

Whatever you get dont get the Crate unless its an older celestion loaded or voodoo cab. I had an ampeg which is also made by St Louis Music and it sucked. I bought it new at Guitar Center for $249.
          Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Yea, except for the Voodoo cab that has the Vintage 30's in it, Crate cabs are pretty sorry.

I have the Red Voodoo cab, and it is 9 ply birch, and has the V 30's , and it sounds awesome, but it was almost 600.00
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I have an avatar 4x12 and like it overall but found a couple odd things that you wouldn't notice till you got one in front of you. The top of the slant cabs are suprisingly narrow, which can cause some top heaviness and footprint problems with a med-large sized head unit. And I'm sure there are some who would say the narrow depth would cut down bass response, I havn't really checked into that. The other thing that seemed odd to me was that the front screen is just screwed down right over the speakers. No frame or anything. But they are well built cabs and the retailer is reputable.

I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of them, just good to be aware of the 4x12 cab depth before you order one.

Comment

MF has the Rogue 4x12 Cabinet on sale for $199 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Does anyone have one, and do they sound like Ass,good,very good,etc [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] I would like to get one, but don`t want a peice of cardboard with speakers [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Any opinions on this cabinet [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  MF has the Rogue 4x12 Cabinet on sale for $199 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Does anyone have one, and do they sound like Ass,good,very good,etc [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] I would like to get one, but don`t want a peice of cardboard with speakers [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Any opinions on this cabinet [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
                  I'd like to know about that one, too. I was checking it out on their site quite awhile ago and thought about possibly getting one.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They also have Randall cabs for $400 and they are made of 3/4 ply birch. Good stuff. Celestion 50 watt speakers too....

[ January 04, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

I just bought a genz benz george lynch 2x12 and i love it. Check one of those out. They are great.

Comment

Truthguy -

Also check out jenkinssoundshop.com. I got two of his cabs last year - best quality building, first-class customer service, and they sound like the Devil!

BTW, mine are loaded with THD Longhorns and are the 2x12 models. I use mine with my Bogner preamp and a Groove Tubes power amp with KT88's, so I kinda like a neutral cab with lots of bass and thump.

Just another option for you - also, you get to pick the color of tolex, handles, casters, etc.

Jer
                        [email protected]
                        [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X