V-twin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-twin?

Can anyone descibe the tones of the Mesa Boogie V-Twin preamp rackmount? Does it have enough gain to do metal(all types)? I have no clue what this thing is, but would it be a step up tonally from my 5150? With a good power amp, that is.

Re: V-twin?

nobody has even plugged in the pedal version?

Comment

Bah, you said rackmount! If it's anything like the pedal version, I wouldn't consider it impressive. I tried one out a few years ago, and it just seemed like it stopped short of giving the gain I expected from a Mesa. On top of that, the noise that thing spits out was awful. You absolutely couldn't use it without a noise gate. My band shares practice space with a couple of death/grind bands, and one of the guys uses a V-Twin pedal. He runs it through some sort of aural enhancer (not a BBE, something I'd never heard of) and it still doesn't sound good. Come to think of it, he has the worst tone I've ever heard.

I'm sure some people can get a good sound out of the thing, but it just doesn't deliver the distortion I equate with most of Mesa's products...and the noise is ridiculous. I think you can get better distortion out of a less expensive pedal, because you're not paying for the name on it.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks man, I think I'm gonna go with a 50. Caliber head. I used to have the combo version and I loved it, then for some reason the graphic EQ stopped sounding like it should so I sold it. Damn! These things are loudass 50 W. tone monsters!

Comment

Working...
        X