jason becker tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jason becker tone

can anyone recommend me settings on my amp to get that jason becker tone? i have a jackson sl1 and i have a peavey amp with low, mids, highs, and a High gain output and a lead knob and a post gain knob, and a switch that goes to vintage, modern, or high gain. i dont have any effects pedals. hope i didnt confuse any of you guys, please help!

Re: jason becker tone

Uhm... to be completley dead honest with you, you can't. Sorry.

If I remember correctly Jason Becker used Marshall JCM 900s one time or another, and Carvin amps I think most of the time, and pretty much anything he could get. I know that at least one of the songs Jason played on his album Perspective, "Rain", he recorded it on a 4 track cassette recorder or something like that using a small Fender practice amp.

This is a debatable issue, but you won't ever sound like Jason Becker. Tone is in the hands, and everyone is different.

Comment

Actually Word, you're the one who's dead wrong here. Set your lows to about 7, mids to 8, and treble to 7 or 8, set the switch to modern, high gain knob at about 7, switch to your guitars middle/neck pickup setting with the volume rolled back to about 3/4 and let her rip! Jason Becker actually used a Peavey combo to record all his stuff Word, the information you have is totally bogus, you can't just pull stuff out of your crapper when a guy is asking you an honest question...Jeez man, have a heart...

[ December 27, 2002, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: DumpyWumpy ]

Comment

LOL!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

he used an ADA MP-1 at one point. He goes over his tone settings on one of his videos. I have it here somewhere.

JOHN

Comment

Gotta side with Word here. Someone on this board told me that they got all of the equipment of his favorite artist, and it still just sounded like him playing through expensive crap. I've gone to shops and picked out equipment here and there to sound like various artists (guess wich ones!). Yup, he's telling the truth.

As much as you may like the tone of your favorite artist, look for your own as well. I've always loved metallica's tone, however I've found some out there that are more "me". I'm not going to say that it's a bad thing to go after your favorite artist, but be yourself while your at it. My tone is the low down heavy stuff, like metallica; although I've got a different twist. I've got this bluesy twist that I can't quite shake. When I compose my own solos, it's blues. But I have gotten tabs to the stuff that I like (Metal all the way!) and I can play those well. No matter what you do, you almost cannot get that exact tone, but you can get one that's close, or one that you like.

Bottom line: Be yourself, HAVE FUN, and always, ALWAYS, show up everyone in the guitar store LOL.

Good luck dude!

Comment

Working...
            X