ok.. it's getting kidna annoying now.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok.. it's getting kidna annoying now.. HELP

What the heck? How did this get in the wrong forum? Sorry!!

Ok, something's wrong. On my RR3, sometimes when I switch between the neck and bridge pickup, right when I switch there's no volume, or very little sound, and I have to bash on the guitar to get it work LOL. After I got my new pickups installed, it doesn't happen as much, but still does, and I'm going to be using this guitar for something very important in the future and it needs to be a reliable guitar and not cut out on me. Sometimes I hear this "scratchy" noise when I turn the volume knobs. Could it be dust or something like that? What is it? HELP!

Thanks.

[ December 24, 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Re: ok.. it\'s getting kidna annoying now.. HELP

Word,
    Try useing deoxit d5 , spray all the pots and swicth and turn the knobs on and off a few times and then do the same thing with the switch (turn on and off etc)That should do it. If that dosen't work you will keed to put in new pots or a new switch or maybe both.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Where can I buy Deoxit d5?

To clean it would I just open up the control cavity and spray the pots and switch in there?

Comment

You should be able to get it at Radio Shack or any electronics store. If they don't have that specific kind that Skidd suggested, they should have some equivalent. It's just contact cleaner. As far as cleaning pots, I remove them from the back of the guitar (don't unsolder them) as far as I can, then spray the contact cleaner into any opening in the casing you can find and turn it back and forth several times, spray again and turn. Do this a few times and the same with the switch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Word,
          You can get any good contact cleaner,thats just the brand that I use and it seems to work really well, some of the cheaper ones only last a few weeks or maybe a month.I get at my local electronic parts store. There will be a little nitch on the pots that you can spray into if yoy don't want to loosen the pots from the guitar

[ December 24, 2002, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: skidd ]
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Thank you guys SO MUCH!

Comment

ditto on the responses

that happened to me with my old gibson SG

WD40 fixed it

not too much though!!

Comment

radio shack contack cleaner w/lubricant...white can, CHEAP works great ive used it one guitars & amp pots. Ive never removed the pots from the guitar to do it, just hold a rag around the pot to lessen the splatter.

Comment

WD40 is a NO NO, attracts a lot of dust.

I did the contact cleaner on the pots and they cleaned up, but the 3 way switch was doomed. I took it up to the shop and a new one is being installed. Oh well.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't use WD40 either, but some people do and feel it's ok. WD40 is a great cleaner for cleaning up old, rusty Floyds to make them look brand new! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      Yeah, I wouldn't use WD40 either, but some people do and feel it's ok. WD40 is a great cleaner for cleaning up old, rusty Floyds to make them look brand new! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WD40 is great for pretreating strings to
                      last longer and resist corrosion. Put SEVERAL layers of newspaper between the strings and the fretboard and body, so it
                      doesn't get on any wood, then spray the WD40 on and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then wipe the strings off. They
                      stay fresh longer, and when you wipe off your strings after playing, you can wrap a rag (old T-shirts are great) around each string and pull the length of the string. Lots of crud will come off that'd stay on the string if it wasn't treated with WD40, and would ruin the tone.

You REALLY have to make sure you don't get any on the wood though, but if you're
                      careful that's not hard, and it helps!
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X