What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?

I want to get two distortion pedals and run them through a 5150 on the LEAD or CRUNCH setting (I already know most of you are going to say you dont need any more distortion than the 5150 has but I have completely lost my mind [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) ok so I was think of running a BOSS mega distortion through a metalzone or trying to find a BOSS heavey metal on ebay, or do any of you have any suggestions? and yes I do have a noise suppressor. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    thanx [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: What do you guys think?

It would be cheaper to stick some ice picks in your ears... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

and how do you know i didnt already try that [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] , j/k [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] . Really does any one have any ideas I would go and try it for myself but i always end up getting kicked out of the store for playing to loud, either that or they dont like death metal.

Comment

Let me make sure I understand you correctly... You're wanting to run a 5150's gain AND 2 Distortion pedals?

[ December 23, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Troy from VENTT ]

Comment

My suggestion is to forget the pedals and turn up your amp! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I have played through all of those pedals and imo I thinik they all sound like a@@!
          The pnly Boss pedals I have ever liked were the original DS-1 or an SD-1.

Comment

With that many pedals in the chain, it's probably going to hiss like a snake...... overkill I think.... and goodbye to any tone or definition.

Comment

I do not understand why you have to use a distortion pedal through a 5150?
              I have a 5150 that I don't even turn the gain knob more than 5 and stil gives me a lot of gains.
              Instead of adding more gains, turn the Volume up.
              Amp like this sounds better when you turn the volume up like 4 or 5 at least.
              I hate using big amp like this at lower volume like 1 or 2 and it would sound like sh@t.

Comment

goodbye to any tone or definition.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Obviously, he can then play NuMetal...

I have owned several 5150s and never even ran them full out on gain, and I'm a gain freak... They fart out with anything much more than 1 oclock pregain with Marshall type 75 watt cabs. They will go heavier on the gain and stay defined with the associated 5150 cab though... Weird stuff.

I've used EQs with them with some benefit, mostly to remove the bogus hish frequency that those things are noted for...

But, actually, the BBE 422A worked strangely well with the early 5150 heads. I'm not a fan of those things generally, but, they do nicely in the loop of a 5150.

Not sure that needing more gain is even possibly an issue with that amp. Maybe you're confusing terms or concepts?

[ December 24, 2002, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Try running a boss sd 1 in the front of the amp or a boss ge 7. Make sure you buy a noise gate and put it in the effects loop to get rid of the Hiss. Use the overdrive like this: Turn the level all the way up,tone aboyt mid way(or till it sounds good to you)and overdrive about 1/3-1/4 up that should help,I hope.
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

"Obviously, he can then play NuMetal..."

hahahah I swear, you and Bill must've been seperated at birth! You both share the same opinions on so much! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now, I'm assuming by "NuMetal" you mean some of the newer Metal bands on the scene as of late [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... Although I will agree that some of them may not be quite as good shredders as the older Metal bands, and I also realize that Tone is subjective, but to MY ears, bands like Godsmack and Disturbed's tones sounds leaps and bounds better than the older, more nasal sound of the earlier Metal bands. Of course, allot of that could very well be due to production techniques also. I LOVE the older Metal, just not the tone most of them achieved back then.

"the BBE 422A worked strangely well with the early 5150 heads. I'm not a fan of those things generally, but, they do nicely in the loop of a 5150."

I agree 110%! Not a HUGE fan of the BBE's either, but I remember the HUGE difference it made in Matt's 5150 back when he had it.

Comment

to MY ears, bands like Godsmack and Disturbed's tones sounds leaps and bounds better than the older, more nasal sound of the earlier Metal bands.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!

However, Godsmack is an ok sound for a Boogie inflatuated tone....

Disturbed?? Bahahaha!!!! I like the band, the tone is well, undesireable... Sounds like pedals... although they used Boogies I hear in the studio...

Some of the early metal just didn't have the technology we have now... Prolly why some of it sounded like a$$...

Comment

ok, nevermind about the 2 pedals i might just by a ROCKTRON gainiac and a BBE sonic maximizer.
                        [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

and i HATE numetal, and i dont think godsmack are numetal, or are they [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] ?

Comment

You cant get any more gain than complete saturation. all it does is mud up the tone and you loose all clearity and anykind of tone you may have had. DON'T DO IT MAN. I've done things like turn on my Metal zone with one of the opther distortion pedals in my rig to see what it does. All it does is mud up and sound like a@@. Not a good idea. Just get a good EQ and scuplt the tone your looking for. sometimes the right midrange is all you need.
                            Gil

Comment

Jacksonfreak: Amen brotha! I agree with every inch of that statement.

"Some of the early metal just didn't have the technology we have now... Prolly why some of it sounded like a$$..."

Cleveland: Agreed! What about Shadows Fall? I LOVE there tone and they've got an "Old School" vibe to them using newer tech... They're still one of my favorites right now. I MUST admit, although I'm an Adument "Rythem only" kinda guy, it sure is nice to hear some nice harmony leads like they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X