Pickup or effects??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup or effects??

what do you reckon i should buy, out of a new pickup for my guitar, or an effects pedal?

Pickup wise im thinking a Duncan Dimebucker, or an EMG 81. I cant afford 2 at the moment, so will using one of these in the bridge position with a normal B C rich (Chesswood Body)Stock pickup in the neck be ok? Or should i just hold out until i can afford 2? oh and does it matter if the duncan goes into a lefty, as i know it doesnt matter with the EMG.

Effects wise...i need some advice, i was lookin at the Boss MT2 Metal Zone, but i have never tried one, and wont really have the chance to as i live in the middle of nowhere! so what do u guys think?

one of these choices are my only option at the moment, i cant afford a new lefty guitar that can beat my warlock over here in the UK, as im goin university nxt yr and money will be tight. Same with the amp, cant afford a new one and i wont have space for a stack at uni, and pointless using one at room volume! Im only using a cheap Marshall 50 watt combo rcd, so please take that into account with youre suggestions.

Any help will be extremely grateful, thanks,

Whiplash [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Pickup or effects??

I am also wondering about the Dimebucker...Its real expensive and darrel doesnt even use'em he uses Kent armstrongs i believe... basically the same but cheaper.. I've heard many things about it... like the pickup is not balanced and is too trebly. but its really hot... there is no mid body so it sounds thin ect. It also depends on the guitar itself tho. It could sound amazing in the right guitar... but now I am leaning toward the dimarzio x2n for a blade pickup.Its not as hot, but the sound has more character...if you ask me.

As for the metal zone...I have one. Its not bad,You can get some pretty diverse sounds out of it. the thing is...I cant get a nice warm grind out of it... If you like seething buzzy sustained distortion(hence the name metal zone [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) you should get it ...but if you like that warm overdrive distortion sound, get somthing else...

Comment

It depends on whether or not you're happy with your amp. If your amp sucks, it will suck with whatever pickups you feed it with. But it might not suck as much with a good pedal.

Dime uses Bill Lawrence L500XL's last I heard. He might have switched over to using the Dimebuckers.

Comment

phpphhph... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] thats why i couldn't find it. they're Bill Lawrence. I went to his site... Those things are 1/2 as much as the duncan ones.

Comment

Dimebag DOES use the SH-13 Dimebucker. This comes from the web admin of the official Seymour Duncan online forum (I'd go there right now and copy-paste the message from him, but forum has been down for maintenance lately so that official message is probably lost). Not that it matters to me whether Dime uses it or not. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

As far as I can remember from that message, the Dime is an improved version of the Bill Lawrence L-500XL. It is NOT a ripoff costing twice as much. Dime went to Seymour Duncan with new needs based on his favorite old pickup. The result is a pickup that looks similar to the L-500XL, but resculpted tone-wise to fit Dimebag's current needs.

I wish the Seymour Duncan forum was up and running... I could give you the real message about the Dime. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

maybe i was wrong [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ...but i did read many (just about all) reviews off harmony central that said he still uses the 500xl.(who knows...could be outdated.) of course the duncan is not a cheap rip-off of any kind, its a very high quality rendition unlike the stew-mac...you get what you pay for with the duncan.

Comment

Harmony Central is a hilarious, yet untrustworthy site for opinions/reviews. People on that site generally don't really know better. A better place to find reviews on the Dime would be the official Seymour Duncan forum, a place where users KNOW their Dimebuckers well, although great tone is still in the ears of the beholder. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah...i can see that... i know theres teen-age punks in there that don't know the first thing about tone or guitars. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

YES!!! The Seymour Duncan board is back up. Here is the message from Evan Skopp, the administrator:

---------------
                  For the record, when Dime and Washburn came to Seymour Duncan, Dime was not using an L-500XL. He was using custom-wound pickups not available to the public. Dime called the custom pickup an L-500XXL, but the fact is, the spec was constantly evolving as Dime was trying to get closer to his tone. However, he couldn't nail it completely and he and Washburn finally gave up. That's why they came to us.

BTW, the L-500XXL that Dime was personally using, was not the pickup in his signature Washburn, nor was it a pickup that the public could buy.

When we got the assignment, we started with the best-sounding XXL and took it from there. We changed the magnet, the magnet wire, number of turns, and other specs, and after numerous go-rounds, we ended up with the Dimebucker. Dime's tech, Grady, installed them in Dime's guitars, and that's what he's been personally using a couple of years by now (he also uses Invaders when he needs a very heavy tone).

The hardest part was nailing the deal with Dime's lawyers and management. They were ball-busters, lemmetellya! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

But this is the important part -- Dime uses the same version of the Dimebucker that we sell. There's no special version just for Dime. This is really the first time the public can get his personal pickup.

So there you have it. I know I've gone through this before, and I'll probably have to explain it again in a few months, but that's OK. We're very happy to have Dime on board.

Special thanks to Dime and Larry English at Washburn for making this happen. Also to Dime's tech Grady and his manager Kim and lawyer Kelly.

I hope that helps.
                  ----------------

Well... guess he didn't even use the L-500XL! He used the XXL!

Comment

Lawrence will wind you pretty much anything you want - just drop an email. While I'm a Seymour advocate, myself, the one of these I heard wasn't substantially different from the L-500XL, although I did find it to be a bit more harsh in the high end - and not in a good way.

YMMV, as usual. Personally, going back to the original thread, I think the JB and Distortion sound much better, although an Invader might be the ticket for that body wood.

Mike
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                    X