POD in live scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD in live scenario

I know a lot of people here aren't big fans of the Line6 stuff, but can anyone give me some ideas on whats the best route for using a POD in a live setting? As it stands, I'd be running it through a Peavey solidstate head, but how much better would it sound through a poweramp? Also, what sort of amp models cut through best live? Any details anyone can give me before I purchase one would be appreciated...

Re: POD in live scenario

I have been using the POD pro live for a year now. I use it with a Mesa 50/50 power amp into a carvin legacy 4x12 (vintage 30's).

Ive run the pod through a few combos before, its noisier than w/ a power amp. I think a tube power amp makes a big difference. The mesa 50/50 has a real sweet presence on it, and i use the mesa to drive most of the highs and cut back the treble on the pod. Still its a bit to harsh.

I do like the POD very much, and recommend it. However live, out of all the 'amp models' i really only get 2 or 3 good tones out of it. But they are very good. The rectifier model simply does not cut through. It wont do it. Dont even try. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

However the Brit hi Gain model cuts very well, and i feel is the best model tonally. It cuts, and with the mesa power amp is real chunky while staying defined. Its a great rythim sound. IF your the only guitar player it will really cut through just fine. With another player it doesnt cut as well... of course our other guitar player always has to sneak around and try to turn his amp up way higher than mine... and he has crappy gear, so it all ends up sounding like mush. When its just me, it rocks though! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Both modern hi gain channels are great for lead tones. The second one being a bit too harsh for me. But they cut through.

All in all i think its a great setup. Ive been considering replacing the pod in my live setup with a soldano SP-77 preamp, but last night i was more than well pleased w/ my tone, and i can hold off on the soldano.

Hope that helps a little. Lemme know if you have any more questions!

Comment

I love my POD for recording, but when I put it through ANY amp, I'm not really happy with it. For live stuff, I use a rack, or pedals in front of a combo.

I think the POD sounds "synthetic" when played out, especially when played loud. But guys do use it.... I saw the Guess Who at the Pacific Coliseum (20,000 seater) and the "other" guitar player was playing with a POD on stage, and he sounded fine. It may work better if you go direct to a PA, which he may have been doing.... I dunno....

Comment

Bababueee: I used to run almost the EXACT same setup as you! POD Pro to a Mesa 50/50 to a Marshall cab with V30's in it. I loved it in my bedroom.. Never was able to achieve a good cutting sound with it live and I tried every possible setting I could. Glad to hear you managed it! That power amp is HIGHLY under-rated for sure.

Comment

Dunno about the pod...but, I just tried using a Flextone XL,run with 2 4x12 cabs..and it sounded HUGE..I know don't help but wanted to share

Comment

Thanks guys! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Troy, off topic but, what gear are you running now?

Im considering replacing the pod with a soldano or triaxis. The jury is still out... either way the 50/50 rocks, and will hopefully be staying with my rig.

Comment

I got out of Rack gear and went back to basics. Just using a Mesa Recto now.

Comment

Working...
                X