5150 Combo- need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Combo- need advice

I was offered a 5150 Combo at a reasonable price. I was just wondering any input from anyone about price, sound, or any info you may have. I will just be using it to Jam in the Garage.
    thanks humanoids [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] !!!

Re: 5150 Combo- need advice

I'll chime in...
    About 4 months ago I picked up a used 5150 combo that was priced at a fair $399. It had lots of tolex rips and scratches on the control plate but everything worked fine. Here is what I have discovered...
    </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The rhythm channel has tons of gain and is none too clean. Crank it and you are in AC/DC land. Which is a good thing IMO.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The lead channel sounds slightly compressed and not as ballsy as the rhythm, but that tends to go away the higher you crank the amp's post gain.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Less is more. I'm getting the best sounds out of both channels with the gains and eq set under 5 (maybe the resonance set higher if playing at low volumes).</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The high gain input sounds better to my ears.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't like the reverb or the bright switch.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The amp is 85 pounds and quite large, even for a 2x12. I'm 6'4'', 250 lbs, strong and I don't like lifting it up and into something, like a car trunk, without help.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a great rock and metal amp, plenty loud for a band situation, and good bang for the buck.

Comment

Weird thing is they don't sound a lot like the 5150 heads.

But, they are one of the only closed back combos, so that's cool.

Bill and I played one recently when he was desperately seking an amp and were dissapointed in it. I guess we were spoiled to the head version of it.

Kinda depends on how "good" a deal it is...

And yes, they are HEAVY...

Comment

Thanks Guys for the input,
        The dude offered it to me for 350.00 cash. I have a Crate 2x12(I know, I know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) that I was gonna sell for 125-150 or whatever I can get out of it. Seems like a good deal, I will go try it out tonight. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X