Fret divots from a case being closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret divots from a case being closed?

Is it possible, for a guitar to get divots... not worn frets, actual string sized grooves that look like they were carved out like a nut slot... just by having a case lid closed?

Here's the deal. I've not touched this guitar in months due to my travel schedule. I get it out. I notice that I am having a hard time doing bends. I look~~ Where did these divots come from?

Anything is possible. What is the case like? A bunch of cinder blocks on top of the fretboard?

Comment

Interesting. I've seen frets where there are all these straight grooves directly under the strings. It's really odd to me and not normal fret wear. My frets don't wear like that, they wear down evenly due to my massive vibrato and epic bends.

Comment

Brand new ESP guitars come with a plastic piece slid in between the strings and frets, I presume to prevent the very thing you've experienced.

e.g.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-FP-G24-...gAAOSwaMFZ3xkP

Comment

Was the case traveling while the guitar was in it? there should not be any way a case could close tight enough on a guitar neck to push the strings in to the frets hard enough to make divots, unless it is vibrating around. might need to call myth busters!

Comment

Either vibration or an impact if it's not normal fret wear.

Yes, it's possible
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
              Was the case traveling while the guitar was in it? there should not be any way a case could close tight enough on a guitar neck to push the strings in to the frets hard enough to make divots
              Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              Either vibration or an impact if it's not normal fret wear.
              I was thinking that it reminds me of the guitars that fell over and the fall damaged a few frets = a very precise indent.
              But the guitar was in its case, standing along the wall, in between a dozen others.

Strangest thing

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Is it possible, for a guitar to get divots... not worn frets, actual string sized grooves that look like they were carved out like a nut slot...
                I can think of 3 things
                -Shitty frets
                -Hard Impact (which I would not expect in a padded case)
                -The Hulk imitating Eddie van Halen
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Some sort of reaction between fret metal and string metal? Way out there. Using weird strings?

Comment

Not to resurrect a zombie thread (even though I am), but I had a very similar experience. In the late 90's, I bought a near-mint late 70's Fender Precision Bass, and it came without a case. Wanting to protect my new purchase, I ran out to buy a new Fender "chainsaw" case. I noticed to case's lid felt like it took a little pressure to close, and latch. Hey, that's a good thing, right?

Nope, didn't take long before I noticed fret wear just like the OP described. Lesson learned, and I now pay much attention to how the case fits the instrument. If I have to press the lid down at all whatsoever, it's a major nope.

Comment

Ya know, I remember posting this. But I don't even remember what guitar is was.

Comment

Working...
                      X