Bogner Ubershall Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Ubershall Review

I've had my Uber for about a week, thought I'd post my thoughts for anyone considering one. First off, it's a badass amp. If you're looking for low end chunk I don't think it can be beat. It sounds like the baddest Marshall in the world.
    A Dual recto is close, as is my VHT-100CL. It's a lot clearer sounding than a Recto, doesn't have that fuzzy tone that they all have. More low end than the VHT. The Uber likes tuned down guitars, definitely sounds it's best w/a dropped D axe or lower. It pumps bass, no doubt. For heavy gain playing I don't think it can be beat, and I've owned'em all. Again, for heavy sounds, kills the Ecstasy or SLO-100. Now, for the negative side. It's overpriced, no doubt. I got mine used and I still think it was overpriced. Why? Well, it's kind of stripped down, not a lot of features. But mainly because the clean channel is useless. It's tone is pretty good, but the channel volumes are out of whack. You can't get a loud clean tone and switch to the dirty side. The dirty channel is like 10 times louder than the clean, making channel switching impossible. So if you want to gig w/it, hope you only want one sound! So, for Bogners, the Shiva or Ecstacy is probably a better deal. A good VHT or 2 channel Recto would also be a better deal. I bought an damaged Uber chassis only that I'm hoping to get working, then I'll probably use it and sell my mint one.

Ethan

Re: Bogner Ubershall Review

Thanks for the review Ethan. The Uber was on my short list for amps but with an out of whack clean channel I dont think I will be thinking about one now.

Comment

Thanks I also am considering an Uber amonst many other amps right now. Clean is pretty bad though?

Bill what is you take on that just for a second opinion? I doubt a stud player like you has much use for the clean
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Bill just put a long Uberschall review on our Clevelandmetalzone Ezboard in the equipment tech area!

Stop by and read it... And post something dammit!!

Link below!

Comment

I match my clean\dirty volumes easily.. you have to play with your gain and independent channel volumes to get them to be even.

Clean channel is glassy smooth on my Uber!

Price is too high? Guitar center tried to chanrge me 1750+ tax for a new VHT 100cl. That's about the same I paid for my Uber (approx $1850-1950). The VHT sounded only a little better than my recto, not much.
          The Dual rectos are'nt even in the same class as the Ubers.. I've been using both for a little over 4 months now at loud volumes at band practice. Dual sounds good but lacks that definition and character the Bogner creates..

Everyone has thier own opinions on these amps, I never see 2 people agree 100%!

[ December 17, 2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: thingman ]

Comment

I love the Uber BUT it definately can be beat on the Bottom end chunk ...that's for sure. John's VHT/CAE smokes it in that area (But that's a Rack). Also the Uber Does NOT sound anywhere close to any Marshall I ever owned or heard [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] . The Uber Excels in one area hand down and that would be GAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!! Nothing is close to the Raw Brutality of the Gain of this Biotch.... [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img]
            Comparing a Uber to a Recto is the same as Comparing a Corvette to a Chevette...That simple. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would have to value Thingman's opinion on the Clean channel. I don't use it therefore can't comment (I don't play clean) ...and why should I [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bogner

[ December 17, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

corvette to a chevette lol! I gotta remember that one bro [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why that F*&K would you want more bass\bottom end than the Uber has already? The only reason I can think of is you don't want a bass player [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think your right. We still don't have a bass player . The hell with it we don't need one!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hmmm how could i guess that Bill wouldn't know about the clean.

Off to Clevlandmetal I go

oh and for teh favor of going over there check out the Zinky Mofo for me
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Hey Guys, I messed w/my Uber a little more. I guess the channel volumes can be matched w/some compromise. On mine, it requires setting the clean gain to 7, channel vol on 10, then set the dirty channel gain on 10 (of course), and it's channel volume on about 3. This makes the clean mediocre and the gain not as gainy. The Uber has a modded Marshall vibe to me. Ever crank a Plexi or even a JCM 800 w/EL34's? That presence and tight focused sound with 100 times more gain and bass is what I hear. I still think it's overpriced, but I bought 2 anyway. It seems like for $2700 list it could have a few more features. I haven't tried the loop, anyone have any luck w/it? At any rate, I think we all agree that the Uber kicks some serious ass. Corvette to a chevete? that's harsh! I guess that would make a Crate Blue Voodoo, a broken down Yugo!

Ethan

Comment

i wonder what a Pinto would be... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

2700.. ouch! that is overpriced [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

loop works great, no complaints

Comment

I owned Gazillion Marshalls modded , cranked and whatnot....They don't sound like an Uber . I playing a Marshall right now and you know ....I'm right [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ December 18, 2002, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]

Comment

The volume matching on the two channels is the big negative I posted about 6 months back when I test drove one. I could get them to work, but it was basicly the same compromise. (Though I am suprised to hear of anyone setting the gain on the Uber. to 10! Setting it at 3-4 was more gain than I'll ever use and I'm playing fairly heavy stuff.) I wouldn't consider these overpiced. They're a boutique amp, and that's very reasonable for an amp of this quality (sound and construction).

I've owned 4-5 of the 'real' Marshalls (JMPs) over the yeasr and would definitely agree that there's very little in common between the Uber and any Marshall I've played. Soundwise, it's more in the same ballpark as the Dual Recto - just much, much better.

Ross

Comment

Here's another interesting thing. As I said in the original post, I got a Uber chassis that was damaged, looks like a very early one, that currently does not work. This one has a switch for EL-34 OR 6550 power tubes. I'm looking foward to getting it working and seeing what the 6550's will do. On another subject, no-one's mentioned the Diezel. I've never heard one, though there is one locally that I might buy when the guy decides to sell. Any opinions on it?

Ethan

Comment

Working...
                              X