Multi-Effect Floor Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Effect Floor Units

I'm considering a Multi-Effects unit here in the near future and would like some expert opinions. Here's what I'm looking for:

Passable Wah
    Pitch Shifting
    Phaser/Flange
    Decent Chorus/Delay/Reverb

Don't care much about the Distortion because I won't be using it. I prefer Analog effects over Digital, but I'm keeping an open mind.

So far I've been leaning towards the Zoom GFX-4 mainly because of the Bypass capabilities. BTW, I'm looking to spend AS LITTLE as possible just because the effects will be used VERY sparingly.

Any suggestions?

Re: Multi-Effect Floor Units

I would recommend the BOSS GT-3. I have owned one for 2 years and they are very versatile, fairly cheap since the GT-6 has come out, and easy to find. Forget about the passable wah though. The wah is by far the worst wah Ive ever heard. Although I have used the Auto-Wah to irritate people! Also, the compressor is very noisy. The harmonizer is nice although it starts to lose tracking on very fast runs. The delays and reverbs are quite good. Phaser is good (flanger too), but you need to run them before od/dist (for EVH style Eruption Phreak Out Sessions) so that can be a problem if like the crunch of your amp - which I assume you do. You can interface to your PC with ease. In a pinch you can run it through a clean power amp or straight into the mixer. There is a wealth of info and patches on the web, as well as the complete setup guide written by an English dude (not a BOSS employee!) that is several hundred pages. Better than any manual I have ever gotten on any piece of gear I have ever owned. For $200 its well worth it for a practice amp (plugged into your PC) or the post od/dist time based effects alone. I have run mine in the loop of my Bogner, but I have a G-Major on the way now!!!

One last thing to mention, there are lots of freaky things you can do with it (as in most multi-effects because you have so many) so you can spend hours making space sounds and various noises that are quite unique. Also (OK 2 things) it is a metal chassis beast that is quite indestructible. My hot water blew a gasket and flooded my music room. I poured the water out, let it dry and it is still going strong today. True story.

JOHN

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I'll definitely look into that one.

Comment

I just run a Zoom 505 in the loop of my 5150, and I have every effect I need, decent delays and whatnot. Its dirt cheap as well. I would get wah from the real thing, I personally like getting wah-like effects from my electro harmonix Baseballs pedal, instead of wah, it goes BEOOUUUWWWW.

Comment

I have a GFX4 for homepractice, and it´s pretty OK. The choruses and delays are good, the flanges and such are good too, but the wah and pitchshifting aren´t better than avarage. Two more downsides to it...no midi and no bank down-switch. For exemple, you can´t go directly from bank A2 to A1, but have to go thru A3, A4 and A0 to get to A1.

If you want a new unit the GFX4 is hard to match sound-wise in it´s pricerange imho, but it´s not a "pro" piece of equipment.

Comment

Thanks Dave L, that was exactly what I was looking for!

What about the Zoom GFX-8? Anyone with an opinion on those?

[ December 17, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Troy from VENTT ]

Comment

The absolute best use of a GT-3 is direct into your PC or mixer, or direct into a PA. That's really what it was designed for, and it is excellent. For use with tube amps, it is really good for effects (the amp modeling is colored by the tube amp, so it is okay, but not as good as direct).

The additional benefit is that you can do presets, so if you have a specific set list that requires a variety of sounds, you can set it up to access each unique sound at the touch of a pedal.

It is built like a tank. It's my pick of the multi-effects units. I haven't A/B'ed it with a POD or other unit, but I really like it. I've gotten fantastic sounds direct and with an amp. That's my 2cents.

I forgot to mention it is killer with headphones. You can get enormous sounds and be quiet to the rest of the world.

[ December 17, 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: EVHwannabe ]

Comment

Sweet! Thanks!

Comment

Hmm, best use of the GT-3 is direct into your computer?

Strange, because my GT-6 directly into my computer sounds absolutely horrendous. Same as my amp direct into my computer. I only get wicked tones from micing the speakers of my amp...

No need for help here, guys, I'll make a special topic for this where you can reply there.

Comment

A friend of mine runs the GFX8 for both preamp and effects, and as far as I can tell the FX are about the same. Perhaps even the same, since the GFX4 is newer.

As far as I can tell from my somewhat limited knowledge of it, The GFX8 is basically like the GFX4 but with added ampmodeling (built-in GM200, actually) and MIDI. They sound more or less the same, but the GFX8 is a more roadworthy piece of gear.

Comment

Number of the Priest, have you tweaked any of the settings when going direct to your PC? I know if my output level coming out of the GT-3 is much above half, the signal is really hot and it clips. Also I run it into a mixer and then into the PC, so I get some level control there. Also, if you are going direct, you should set the mode to "Line/Headphones".

Not sure why yours would sound bad. I too have miked my 1/2 stack, and prefer it for a straight ahead sound as well, but for quick, easy set up and WAY more very professional sounding different sounds, you can't beat the GT-3 for direct recording, IMHO.

Comment

OK, after much deliberation and taking all of your thoughts on the matter into consideration, I decided to go ahead and get the GFX-4. The whole "True-Bypass" circuitry intrigued me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...929759079&rd=1

Comment

Working...
                        X