Tube question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube question:

Anyone here got any experience with Siemans EL34s? Boogie's offering both those and Svetlanas for my TripleRec, and I'm wondering what each is like?

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: Tube question:

Aren't Siemans all NOS tubes? I know that Paul Sr. puts the Svetlanas in all the EL-34 Rivera KR100T's. Probably doesn't help that much, sorry.

Comment

I don't know about the siemens but if you go to tubestore.com you will save $20 a pair on the svetlana's

Comment

LRG - if I wasn't an endorser, that would be true. You didn't know that, so thanks for informing me, regardless.

Lord - I have no idea. I was thinking that someone was manufacturing under the Siemens name again, but I don't know...

C'mon, with all the tube freaks here, I can't find ANYONE who'll say anything about the Svetlanas? How are their EL34s?

Mike

Comment

In the old forum there were some reviews of the Svetlana's. I thought they seemed pretty happy. You can still go to tubestore and read their review of the tube.They do some comparison of the coomonly available tubes. Sorry I couldn't help more, although they are what I plan to put in my triple after the New Year.

Here is a link to the reviews in comparison to the Siemens, hope it helps bro. tube reviews

[ December 17, 2002, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Thanks, LRG. I think I'm wearing my idiot hat today - I should'a thought of that.

Okla, if you're reading this, did you ever decide what you liked best in your single? I know you left off with 5881s.

I'm feeling like the 6L6s are lacking some "warmth", and I'm betting that the EL34s will help with that. Any opinions from the peanut gallery on that?

Mike

Comment

Any opinions from the peanut gallery on that?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Road King.
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

The EL34's will indeed add warmth. At last I heard Pete still liked the Tung Sol 5881's the best. All Svetlana power tubes are very mid range oriented and great tubes. With the EL34 you should get a very nice mid range compressed power tube sound. I run EL84's since I have a Mesa 20/20. They are similar in tone I guess but don't quite put out the same amount of power. If your looking for a warmer tone the Svetlana EL34's should work nicely.
                We must!
                We must!
                We must increase the bust!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!
                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Yeah, Matt, I know, Road King - but I'm financially challenged right now. Bastard. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Besides, I'm really, really close to what I want, just not quite there - and what seems to be bothering me is the "hollowness" of the 6L6s.

Besides, I can always record through yours. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Soloist, thanks - that seems to be the consensus of opinions I can find around the 'net, is that the Svets are pretty warm.

Mike

[ December 17, 2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Michael ]

Comment

I also have a little question. I've decided on the Svetlana tubes but I'm not sure whether to go for the EL34's or 6L6's. I play metal so I want a crunchy hard kind of sound, but I know **** all about tubes.

Comment

Well, we play power metal, with a tone sort of in the Iced Earth range, although not as bright (who is?), and I'm finding the 6L6s to be a bit "hollow" sounding, lacking some mid-range "warmth". EL34s are supposed to have less midrange "scoop" to them, which warms things up a bit. I've played a 3CH Dual Recto that was shipped with EL34s in it, and it didn't seem to have this problem.

To be honest, we're talking about a very minimal thing, and I'm one of those guys who likes to fsck with his tone constantly, so YMMV. I'm giving long, hard thought to trying EL34s, though.

Mike

Comment

Shame that you can't use KT88s...

In my opinion, they have best of both worlds... The thump, depth and high end glossiness of 6L6s and the solid midrange and a lot of the lead sweetness of the EL34...

I personally don't like the EL34 all that that much at this point, they're too mid honky compressed sounding for my tastes. But, they do have THE sweet lead sound.

Not liking the 6L6 that much for sweet leads. But for metal rythyms, they have more low end thump than the EL34 s though IMO.

The KT88s were my ideal sound once I got them. With EL34s coming in next I guess... But, most of the honk of the EL34 you won't hear till the amp starts saturating anyways though...

[ December 17, 2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Hey Michael, I replaced the stock 6L6's with Svetlana EL34's in my Mesa quite some time ago and STILL love them! I, like you, was expecting a very MINOR change in the tone, but to my ears it was quite dramatic. The 6L6's just sounded kinda sterile to me. The EL34's added some Mids and the tone just imediately sounded fuller in a band atmosphere. I've been wanting to replace the stock preamp tubes but even with Okla's help, I'm still without a clue as to what stage to put what tube... I'm such a moron! hahahah

Comment

Following is just from having several different EL34s in my Univalve, which runs one power tube at a time. I figure it should be universal, as far as which power tube is warmer, etc... but you are warned: I didn't try these in a mesa.

Svetlana - decent sound, nothing amazing, but not bad either.

Ruby - I liked this one. Warm and fat.

JJ - sounded a lot like the svet to me... I've heard some quality issues on their power tubes. A pal of mine uses the 34s in his TSL Marshall, and they 'ping' when heating up and cooling down since the tolerances are off. I'd probably avoid them for this reason.

90s Audio Glassics - Sound good to me. Very full.

OLD Siemens - Rock the house. I prefer these. The ones I have are from the 80s. Tighter lows and nice highs, a little scooped in the mids, but not like a 6L6.

GT EL34L - ran these in my VHT, had a good tone, but a little overpriced imho, as most Groove Tubes are.

I haven't really heard a 'bad' EL34, each just is a little different. Depending on the amp, I think you'll get more varied tones by playing with the PREAMP tubes more so than the power tubes, especially if you don't run the amp where the power tubes are distorting (like past 7 or so).

Pete

Comment

Used lotsa power tube brands and have settled on Svetlanas...

Haven't tried the expensive USA NOS tubes like Seimens etc. though...

I've used Svets ( 6L6, EL34, KT88) for years playing live shows on a weekly basis plus several practices a week at high volumes and have had excellent luck with them.

I've also used tesla with success too. But, if I buy a power tube currently, It's a Svetlana.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X