Brought The Rivera Home Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brought The Rivera Home Today!

Well I took a plunge toaday and laid out 1700 for a brand spanky new Rivera Tri-Channel Knucklehead amp, also came with Rivera's propreitary "Headmaster" midi foot switch.
    Initial impressions are good so far but it will take awhile to get completely dialed in.
    It has an amazingly lush clean channel but then again I'm sure everyone figured that would be the case with Paul Rivera's stuff.
    Not too impressed with channel two yet it is definately going to take some dialing in if I use it at all. It is supposed to be a Marshally kinda of channel but I haven't heard it yet. It sounds like it wants to be Marshally but it really bassy sounding.
    Channel three is the shining star here. Gain for days!!! Sounds much better on the Vintage switch. With the gain on 6 it roughly matches the gain on my Trace Allen head witch has the preamp maxed out!

Here are the specs:
    FRONT
    1. Three channels-clean(green), crunch(yellow), lead(red)
    2. 2 separate eq's 1 for the green and a shared one for the yellow & red channels
    3. Separate gain and master volume controls for each channel
    4. Separate foot controlled boost for each channel
    5. Hammond long pan spring reverb assignable to any channel
    6. Focus knob (controls the tightness of the bass)
    7. Presence knob

BACK
    1. MIDI channel select(rotary knob)
    2.MIDI thru, MIDI in & special MIDI for the footswitch that goes to the head(5 pin cable that also allows fs to use phantom power from the head!)
    3.Series-Parallel effects loop w/send, return & blend knobs
    4.Sub woofer out
    5. Direct recording out(utilizes all of the amp except for power tubes and cabinet)
    6.Vintage/Modern switch-Modern=cleaner,more headroom,brighter(pentode) & Vintage=sweeter,darker(triode)
    7.Power output switch-High gain input=100/50 watts
    Low gain input=25/12 watts

4 EL34 Svetlanas
    5 12AX7 preamp tubes

I will keep you updated on what I can get out of this amp and hopefully get over my embarassment and get some samples of the sounds the head can make so you guys can hear it.

Re: Brought The Rivera Home Today!

cool! It'd be great if you could record some stuff with it. I live vicariously through you dudes who can pop for such luscious rides. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some jug-jugga-jug-jugga-jah JAH would be fine, it don't need to be all meedley meedley meedley meeeeeee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Sweet! I'll see what I can do to figure out how to get the stuff off the Boss BR-532 onto my computer and let you hear some jug-jugga-jug-jugga-jah JAH! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know with my Rivera, I need to dial the bass almost off on the Marshall channel (bass on 2, treble and mid up around 7) or else it is too flabby. Spend a lot fo time tweaking the controls, especially any focus and prescence controls. I still don't have mine quite dialed in, but it's worlds better than the first time I tried to use it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Raging Aardvark:
          I know with my Rivera, I need to dial the bass almost off on the Marshall channel (bass on 2, treble and mid up around 7) or else it is too flabby. Spend a lot fo time tweaking the controls, especially any focus and prescence controls. I still don't have mine quite dialed in, but it's worlds better than the first time I tried to use it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't you still get that hollow bassy sound? I did in mine.
          I called Paul Sr. and was told to turn on the effects loop(it soesn't matter whether you are running effect or not) and use the level to be able to get the master volume up above three at a comfortable volume. This will fix that problem straight away.

Comment

yeah I use the FX Loop, as anothe gain stage. Mine is CRANKED to get the higher gain sound I was looking for. The TBRs weren't really designed as high-gain, but that was their recommendation to me(for my amp).

Comment

Originally posted by Raging Aardvark:
              yeah I use the FX Loop, as anothe gain stage. Mine is CRANKED to get the higher gain sound I was looking for. The TBRs weren't really designed as high-gain, but that was their recommendation to me(for my amp).
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I tried it again today w/o the loop on(noisy bugger isn't it!) and cranked channel 2 up a bit and got some definate creamy gained out Marshall goodness, I am starting to dig channel 3 alot more also. I just don't like the noise that the effects loop adds to an uncanny quietness this amp exhibits.

Comment

don't you have a focus knob on yours? I do, it tightens up the bottom end. Should be near the presensce knob. My Rivera also have the slavemaster feature, which helps with the volume. The effects loop also. There are many tricks with Pauls amps. Enjoy yours. I love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                  don't you have a focus knob on yours? I do, it tightens up the bottom end. Should be near the presensce knob. My Rivera also have the slavemaster feature, which helps with the volume. The effects loop also. There are many tricks with Pauls amps. Enjoy yours. I love mine.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh yeah, dont think I dont play with that focus knob except I call mine.....the BALLS knob! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X