Tubes for Mesa Single Recto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for Mesa Single Recto

I have a Mesa Single Rectifier, and I want to put new tubes in it. The manual says to only replace them with Mesa tubes, but I've heard that Mesa tubes suck. What are you guys' suggestions for tubes? This will be my first tube change, and I know virtually nothing about how different tubes sound. What are the tonal differences between 6L6's and EL34s? Thanks.

Re: Tubes for Mesa Single Recto

www.eurotubes.com

Talk to Bob Pletka (the owner) about JJ tubes. He'll set you up. You don't have to use Mesa tubes.

Comment

I, too have a single rectifier. I used some svetlana 6L6's in it for a long time, but then I read some posts on the jackson forum from Troy from Ventt, he said he was using the EL34's and that they rocked,

he was right. The el34's really make that amp scream. I am using the JJ el34's, but svetlana would also be a good choice. I got mine from www.thetubestore.com, just tell them what amp you've got, and they'll give you a good matched pair that won't kill your amp. I've never dealt with eurotubes, but have only heard good things about them. Dont buy mesa tubes, waaaayyy overpriced.

nandrew

Comment

Still a little confused about the differences between the 6L6 and EL34. I am primarily a heavy metal guitarist and need high gain, but I also need a decent amount of headroom on the clean channel. What tubes would you guys reccomend for me. I'm on a little bit of a budget, so what's the best value? Here's some tubes that I liked the description of

Preamp:

1. Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
        2. Tesla(JJ) 12AX7/ECC83S
        Power:

1. Sovtek 6L6WXT+
        2. Svetlana 6L6GC
        3. Electro-Harmonix 6CA7EH
        4. Electro-Harmonix EL34
        5. Shuguang EL34-B

Would any of these be good for what I want? Any experience with these? Thanks.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I've put many diff. types of preamp tubes (12ax7) in my single recto, and not a lot of difference in gain between the different brands. I will say that the EL34's will make that amp sound BETTER than the 6L6's. It responds better to palm mutes, and has a more rounded sound than the 6L6's. Overall you're talking minimal differences with whatever you put in there. Just make sure you have the switch on the amp set to whatever power tubes you put in there. I play heavy metal,too. The EL34's will make you happy, if you haven't already tried them out. Preamp tubes, just buy some quality ones, like Tesla (JJ), or whatever, heck, I like the Sovtek 12ax7WA version the best. It has a more open sound than the LPS or the Electroharmonix version (which is sovtek,too) I have yet to try the JJ preamp tubes, I'll prbably try them out after the new year.

Comment

Thats all I run in my mesa gaer is the jj tubes.They sound great and I have put them all in there to test.As far as changing to el34 I wouldnt.I would get the jj 6l6 and the jj 12ax7.Tell bob at www.eurotubes.com You want to run high gain and he will hook you up.With the 6l6 you get a better tighter bottom end than the el34.To compare it for you ironmaiden uses el34 and metallica uses 6l6.I know its not the exact same sound but Im just trying to give you a example of the sound difference.Thats just my 2 cents.Hope it helps you paul.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but could he not also, buy some THD yellow jacket socket converters and then slap in some el84's and that will give him a much more power tube saturation than el34's/6l6's wont it? thus a lil more gain for him?

Comment

Working...
                X