25th Anniv KV paint and broken hs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th Anniv KV paint and broken hs

I just bought one of the silver 25th Anniversary King V/Double Rhoads and it had a previous neck repair at the nut it looks like (they also did a shitty job packing it and the headstock snapped right through the G tuner during shipping - GC bastards!). Decent original repair but the Tim Wilson/Mike Shannon sigs aren't there anymore - or maybe they are and are covered up? Is there a good way to uncover the most recent paint layer to find out? I assume it's the same polyurethane clear and base (or is that not what Jackson used in 2005?) that Jackson initially used as the paint hasn't lifted. I have a heat gun but am afraid that it will lift both original layer with the sigs along with the repair layer. Should I just sand away? Ultimately I think I will end up sending it to Lee at GMW to have the hs refined, but I'd like to try and save the signatures. Advice is much appreciated!
    Last edited by AIC70; 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM.

IF and its a big if, the original sigs were buried under clear and it was a quick cheap and dirty repaint with little to no prep, I would think your best bet is a good block and say 1000 grit and wetsand carefully taking your time, but its not gauranteed
    A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Working...
    X