new to tube amps.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to tube amps.....

i just got a mesa dual recto and this is the first tube amp i've ever had. any things i should know about em? i kno basics like starting it in standby and letting them warm up but what else should i be aware of?

[ December 14, 2002, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: FRIEDMAN+BECKER ]

Re: new to tube amps.....

Yeah, when you have it on.... and you're not getting quite the sound you want.... CRANK IT UP!!! Tube amps sound their best at high volumes in my opinion.

Comment

Now that's a quality post there Word... Helpful, answered all his questions...

You like rule or something...

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How many of your tube amps have you cranked, Word?

Pete

[ December 14, 2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: OklaStrat ]

Comment

Well Pete, I don't own any right now, but from all the tube amps I've played through, they sound like crap at low volumes and they start sounding way better when you crank em up.

I don't think you have to own a tube amp to figure this out....

Comment

lol ok. i kinda knew that, but i was thinking more along the lines of maintenence. things like how long do power tubes and preamp tubes last?..and what to know when changing them?

Comment

Alright, since no one is giving a straight answer here....

Tube amps will often show their true sound at high volume and may also exhibit pleasing tone from the tube saturation at high levels.

On the other hand, unless you are playing good sized clubs, MOST people will rarely be able to saturate a tube amp without driving everyone mad, disturbing the neighbors/family etc.

My CAE3+se tube preamp and VHT 2150 power amp sound AWESOME at low bedroom volumes... I actually prefer THAT sound to the higher volume tones... At least until it gets into saturation... Then that is a pleasing sound also. But, to get there with that rig would require a large arena...

Why do people like tube amps? A simple answer would be that tube amp distortion, in general, is usually more pleasing to the ears due to their inherent even harmonics produced compared to the uneven harmonics generated by solid state distortion. However, some people like that sound also...

To answer your other questions. Preamp tubes can last for years and power section tubes can last from years (under easy usage; low volume etc) to only 6 months or less under heavy high volume stage usage. And, in some cases, even a week when seeing 80 volt variac usage!!!

When changing preamp tubes, ask friends what they like. A cheap easy to get preamp tube are the Chinese 12ax7. The tubestore.com carries a lot of different ones with great descriptions of their usage. Old stock USA tubes that are quite expensive (Mullard, Telefunkin etc) play a big role in the boutique amp crowd. But, most lower end tube amps will not display the tone that these tubes can produce.

Power section tubes replacement should most always include biasing of the amp, performed by a technician. MESA amps are the exception, and merely require a color matched tube scenario that MESA has developed. You just pop in a tube that is matched to that amps preset bias... This is not "always" desireable in my opinion... But, it works for them and simplifies things somewhat...

My choice of power tubes are Svetlana across all different type.

Check out the http://tubestore.com they have some nice information on their site about tubes and you'll learn a lot...

Check out my EZBoard below in the Equipment tech area for some great high end tube amp info also. We try our best to give informative replies... You're more than welcome to post any questions.

Regards
                -john

[ December 15, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Thats tough to generalize, but maybe a year preamp tubes and six months to a year on power amp tubes.
                  As long as you know the warm up deal (five minutes or so), then you're good to go. The only other special precaution to take is try not to move it when the tubes are hot. That when they are the weakest. Its not like you can't touch it, but if you have to move it right away, be very gentle with it.
                  Otherwise, congrats on a cool head, and creank that sucka! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X