Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slayer or anyone (concerning Yamaha DG Stomp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer or anyone (concerning Yamaha DG Stomp)

I'm thinking about picking up one of those DGStomp boxes from Yamaha ... have heard a lot of good things about it but am not very experienced with amp modelers and multi-effects. I've been burned on the Zoom stuff, so I'm hesitant. At $250, I get the feeling they're a lot better than the Digitech, Zoom, or Boss stuff. I read somewhere they're right up there with the Line 6 POD modelers, but I don't know much about that. Slayer, I saw in another post you have one, so I figured I'd ask.

Anyone got an opinion about these things? I don't particularly like all of these new multi-effects units coming out today, but this one appears to be a little more rugged and a little more professionally-made.

Thanks! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Slayer or anyone (concerning Yamaha DG Stomp)

Guitar Center is selling them for $139. Get cracking. They are pretty good.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Have you used one? When you say "pretty good," do you mean fair or decent, or do you mean definitely worth the money? Thanks for the tip about GC. They're still listed at $250 on MF, so that makes me feel better.

Anybody else got an up-in-yan?

--Dan

Comment

I think they sound great - I almost bought one instead of my pod 2.x, but got the pod because of the massive tweakability. If I was getting a cheap modeller for live use, the Stomp would win hands down.

If you have some more $ to spend and want something for recording also, get a pod XT... I love mine.

Pete

Comment

Dude, it is $139. Of course it is worth the money.. It is made out of medal, has great amp sims, effects, a tuner, and a built in pedalboard. What else do you? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, awsome thingy for the money, I also spent $139.99 and it was money well spent [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I say go for it you won`t be dissapointed [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I had the pod rackmount preamp and the yamaha.Tey both sound good for what they are,but if you dont use a flat sounding speaker they will not replicate whatever amp tone you are going for.When I ran the pod pro with my mesa cabs I would have to turn the rep off or it would sound like crap.

Comment

I use a DG80 for my practice amp and it's an excellent amplifier in it's own right, imho... The DG Stomp uses a similar (if not the same) preamp section - I don't think you can be disappointed for the price...

Comment

Couple more questions:

I haven't gotten a chance to mess around with one yet, but before I do, what are your opinions on tone?

I've read mixed reviews on the DGStomp's ability to produce good distortion sounds. Some say it's got a weak distorted sound; others say it's capable of death metal tones. For those who've used it, does it fit the heavy metal bill?

Also, how easy/difficult is it to use for live playing? If I want to switch between patches/banks/groups, is it time consuming?

Thanks

Comment

Top [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, thanks for everyone's help. I finally picked one up. It's the best stomp box I've ever played. I do agree with some of the critics that it doesn't get the most "metal"-sounding distortion out there, but the distortion you can get out of it sounds very good. One of the best features is the fact that you can switch between banks without changing the sound of the patch you're currently on, so in one group with 3 banks, you've got 9 separate effect settings. I'm still playing with it. There's so many different tones and effects you can get out of it, it's probably going to take me a few months to get everything the way I want it. I used to own a Zoom GFX-8, which is the most premium Zoom you can buy, but the DG Stomp blows it away. I'm a very happy camper.

Dan [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool Dan [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X