Mesa Quad vs. Studio Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Quad vs. Studio Preamp

The Studio is more of a Mark I Boogie sound - less gain and crunch. I've never heard one I was thrilled with.

The Quad is a different beat altogether - it can do virtually every sound of each "Mark" series Boogie. For a real metal tone, this would be my choice. It's drawback is simple - it's friggin' huge. I believe it's six rack spaces, for just a preamp. They do sound good, though, especially when paired with a 295 or Strategy 400. A quality piece that I've seen going in the $500 range, at times.

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: Mesa Quad vs. Studio Preamp

i just got a v-twin rack. i am very surprised at how good it sounds. try one & the are not all that expensive.

Comment

Go for the Quad

Comment

I've owned both... the studio preamp gets great tones too, but the Quad is quite a bit more versatile. The direct recording outs still suck tho.

For high gain tones, I think the SP77 beats either piece of gear, but the mesas get a MUCH nicer clean tone... very blackface fenderish.

Pete

Comment

Mesa Quad vs. Studio Preamp

For some reason I am hellbent on owning one of these preamps, but I can't decide as I have no experience with either. The info I have is just from reviews but I can't decide which is better for my application. Also, I would try them out in person, but I haven't seen 'em around. I figured I'd ask you guys cuz I value your opinions. The reason behind me wanting one of these is because they can be had for pretty cheap, and (from what I'v heard) have great tone, specially for Metal (not nu metal). Any feedback would be great.

Comment

Thanx a lot guys, I think I'll keep my eye out for the Quad, I'll also look into the SP77. I definitely need to upgrade my rack, basically just need a new Preamp and an EQ. Thanx again.

Comment

Matt I sold plazmawine(Tim) a sp77 that he is trying to sell. It is about as clean of a unit as you'll find. He's on the island also. You should try to contact him. I think he has it on Harmony Central if you'd like to get his contact info.
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Hey Chris, i was looking around alittle bit and noticed a SP77 japanese and then an American made one. Whats the difference? (besides where made and probably price).

Comment

The long standing rumour is that the Japanese ones had QC problems and that's why production was moved back to the US. Supposedly the circuits are identical. There was a long winded debate about this a few months ago on here and the truth is no one seems to know anything definitive. If you decide to go with a Japanese one, you should get it much cheaper. If you go with a US one, you'll be able to move it much easier, if you need to, even at the higher price. Also, if the rumours are true, the US one is better built...

Ross

Comment

Actually the prices are pretty close to each other. I haven't had a Japanese one so I can't comment on tonal differences between the two but I've heard they are supposed to be close to the US one. For the few extra dollars though I would by the USA one. The Jap has a gray faceplate and the USA one has a hot purple one. The USA is also a lot shallower in rack depth than the Jap one. Not sure why, obviously because the PC board is larger in the Jap one but I don't know why they made that one larger when they are similar in design. All three of the USA ones I have owned where built very well. The one I sold Tim was the best of that bunch and last one I sold off. The only reason I sold it is because I didn't want a huge multi preamp rack anymore and the CAE sounds better and is more versatile with it's 3 channels and EQ boost. It has brand new Chinese tubes and I usually ran the gain at 12 or 1 oclock. Great preamp for sure and well worth the 400 shipped he is selling it for. Pete didn't like the clean channel but I thought it was pretty good. I only play metal though so I wasn't looking for anything special out of the clean channel like Pete might. It's clean and it sounds pretty good. lol That's enough for me.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Also for the record every one of the three that I owned sounded different from each other. I'm sure the Jap ones are the same way. I have to disagree with Ross on the pricing though. I have seen most of the Jap ones sell from 300 to 375. The USA ones have sold anywhere from 325 to 425. I would spend the extra few dollars for the USA myself.
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Just so you know the quad is either 3 or 4 spaces, Dont remember for sure, but I know at the most it's 4. I used to have one and loved it. I was in a speed metal band at the time and IMO it had plenty of gain
                        Chris
                        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I think Neddi had his SP77 for sale. It was just gone through by Soldano and also retubed...

I forget what he wanted, like around four hundred something...

Couldn't ask for a better deal than that or Plazma wines...

Comment

Soloist1, I've seen the Japanese ones going for more like $250-275. (I don't actively keep up with the market on these, so could well be wrong.) For the prices you're quoting, I'd definitely buy the US one.

I don't know which of Neddi's is going, but one of his was mine and it was great before he sent it off to Soldano. I really miss it, but am headed back towards a basic head+cab setup.

Ross

Comment

Working...
                            X