Couple Peavey 5150 and 5150 2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Peavey 5150 and 5150 2 questions

Whats the differnce between the regular 5150 and the 5150 II , and which one is better , because i have a regular 5150 ,and whats better a regular 5150 with the block EVH or with his sig on the amp

Re: Couple Peavey 5150 and 5150 2 questions

From what I understand from my other guitar player is that the 5150's are way better than the "2's". And the block EVH 5150's are better than the "signature" 5150's, unfortunately thats all I know. I hope that helps some.

Comment

The 5150 II adds EQ to the rhythm channel, footswitchable FX loop, and an extra preamp tube. Additionally, the "rhythm" channel is supposed to be improved, and the lead channel is voiced a bit differently.

I currently have the II, and had a 5150 combo, but never played the original head version. From my personal experience with the II and the combo, the 5150 II has slightly less gain and low end, and a bit more in the midrange department. I found that to acheive a comparable tone, I had to increase the pre level and decrease the mid level on the 5150 II.

To be honest, I think I liked the clean (or "rhythm") channel on the combo better since it wasn't nearly so bright as the 5150 II, but there may be a difference between the 5150 head and combo.

As far as the signature versus "EVH" versions of the original head, I think the only difference was in the stock preamp tubes which were supposed to be better in the first version of the amp.

The bottom line is that while the 5150 II may have a few more features than the original, I don't know if you can really find any tonal improvements. I think you just have to play each to find out which suits you better. They all have gobs of gain, a great lead tone, and not a spectacular clean tone.

Comment

Thanks alot guys [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , i was always wondering what the difference is.

Comment

Working...
        X