jt 590 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jt 590 help

JT 590 help... took it all apart, cleaned everything, fixed some stuck saddles... now going to put it back together I have noticed there are 2 saddles with #1, two saddles with #2 and two saddles with no number stamped on the bottom.. is this indicating there is a specific order to put them on? If so what is the order?
    Last edited by phragle; 10-01-2017, 03:31 PM.
    A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

I noticed, via quick Google Image search, that the JT590 baseplate is flat. Thus the saddles are likely paired and are different heights to establish the string radius at the bridge. The lowest saddles would be the 1st and 6th strings, the intermediate height saddles would be the 2nd and 5th strings, and the highest saddles would be the 3rd and 4th strings. ie - lowest heights on the outside, highest heights in the middle.

Ideally in the future, when disassembling a tremolo on your work surface, try to keep the parts arranged "in order" (see image of my disassembled Ibanez Edge tremolo below), or clean saddles individually and put them back in their place immediately. (The Ibanez Edge baseplate, unlike the flat baseplate of the JT590, has staggered height platforms on which the saddles sit, so all the saddles are manufactured identical, and any saddle can sit on any baseplate platform and automatically be at the correct height, but I still try to keep saddles "in order".)

Comment

How the hell did I write with invisible ink??? lol
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

LOL. Go back to your first post, hit "Edit Post", and see what mystery forum code inserted itself into your block of text.

I had to highlight your post to make the words appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Ideally in the future, when disassembling a tremolo on your work surface, try to keep the parts arranged "in order"
          Sage advice. Sometimes the #1 saddle on a JT6 can get a bit fatigued and will fail to grip the high E string. An easy workaround is to swap it with the #6 saddle. Same goes for #2 / #5. So if I take the damn thing apart and am not careful, that lifesaving mod gets undone.

Comment

That's an Ibanez lo-Pro edge. If I recall 1 is the e's, 2 is A and B, nothing is dg. Or just eye them you can see the saddle height while they are next to each other. Highest to lowest from the center to edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Sage advice. Sometimes the #1 saddle on a JT6 can get a bit fatigued and will fail to grip the high E string. An easy workaround is to swap it with the #6 saddle. Same goes for #2 / #5. So if I take the damn thing apart and am not careful, that lifesaving mod gets undone.
              Sage advice!

Another tip. I've heard of people using ice cube trays or medicine boxes to keep the various parts "together". ie - All 1st string little parts sit soaking in WD-40 in one compartment, all 2nd string little parts sit soaking in WD-40 the next compartment, etc. I haven't tried this myself, but it sounds handy. Label each compartment with a permanent marker to keep track of E-A-D-G-B-E.

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
              That's an Ibanez lo-Pro edge.
              I've owned four guitars equipped with Original Edges and currently have three guitars with them. An Original Edge was the very first tremolo I've ever owned, and it wasn't long before curiosity made me take it apart and put it back together. I probably have more experience with all my Edges combined than all my other trems I own/owned combined (1x Original Floyd Rose, 2x Floyd Rose FRT-O2000, 1x Floyd Rose Special, 1x Gotoh GE1996T, 2x Takeuchi JT580LP, 2x Gotoh 6-screw vintage trem). Just by pure happenstance, I still haven't yet crossed paths with a guitar with a Lo-Pro Edge in real life, but I imagine when disassembled and spread out that it looks similar to a disassembled Edge. Here are two of my Edges below. The disassembled tremolo seen above, which needed disassembly and cleaning (the "before" picture), comes from the top guitar seen below (the "after" picture).

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 10-02-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X