Floyd Trem Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Trem Springs

How often do you guys replace your Floyd Tremolo Springs? I've heard it should be done every 3-5 years due to "metal fatigue." I've never really done it. Some of my Floyd equipped guitars are 30 years old and still stay in tune beautifully. Others not so perfect, is this true about the springs wearing down over time?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      How often do you guys replace your Floyd Tremolo Springs? I've heard it should be done every 3-5 years due to "metal fatigue." I've never really done it. Some of my Floyd equipped guitars are 30 years old and still stay in tune beautifully. Others not so perfect, is this true about the springs wearing down over time?

I'm sure the tension (or pressure) of a spring will diminish over time, In a floyd, being under constant pull, they would (very) slowly stretch
      the only thing that would be necessary over time is screwing the claw in a little more

Also, metal fatigue would never allow metal to return to it's original position, therefore, because of it's setup, a floyd would only detune down in pitch
      a divebomb on worn springs should never return to a higher pitch (weakened springs can't suddenly become stronger)

Now, the springs WILL wear, and they COULD fail, but within 3-5 years??? No way, I'd consider that either lousy production, or bad luck (most often the latter, since even in budget guitars they last their lifetime)
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks, guys. I will say on older Kahler cam operated trems replacing the small springs does fix tuning issues. Kahler says so on their site, but Floyds are up in the air.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
        X