Original Floyd Soloist fret buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Floyd Soloist fret buzz

I've just got my lovely new USA Soloist and all' good except a bit of excessive fret buzz on the E and A strings. I know there's various remedies for this but want to know which to do first. The Floyd is very slightly pulled into the recess rather than parallel to the body so maybe I should release the spring tension to get it parallel first and see if that works. If that doesn't I'll raise the low string side mounting stud a bit too to see if that helps. The neck curvature seems okay so I'd rather avoid messing with the trus rod and intonation at first.

So what'a the recommended sequence please?

Sequence:

1) Verify the neck relief first (truss rod). Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhF2X_bdXg&t=380s from about 6:20 onwards regarding setting relief by using the string as a straight edge relative to the fretboard.

2) Loosen tremolo claw screws slightly.

3) Tune the guitar to desired pitch.

4) Repeat #2 and #3 until bridge is level AND guitar is in tune.

5) Adjust bridge height. I like to go as low as possible on both sides, then play the guitar acoustically to check for buzz. (There will almost always be buzz.) Then I raise each side of the bridge until there is satisfactory action balanced with an "acceptable" amount of buzz, which in my experience will NOT manifest when amplified. ie - A mild amount of string buzz is acceptable to me. Excessive buzz is not. But I do need to prioritize low action because I have small hands/fingers. Your mileage may vary.

6) Retune the guitar. It won't be off by much, but it will be off if you did adjust the bridge height. May have to repeat #2 and #3 again.

7) All of these adjustments will throw off your intonation. Intonation adjustments come last. Done.

Comment

Working...
    X