Uber or Ecstacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber or Ecstacy?

Allright rivetheads Daddy got the house refied and has some cash coming.
    So the question is this, which one?
    Mind you I am still considering a Marshall TSL 100watter and having Trace do his thing to it.
    I am also going to try the Rivera tri channel knuckle one more time with a rep that supposedly can help me dial in what I am looking for.
    I dont care about 15 different channels and I love the hint of Marshallness in my sound but what I want is an amp with an outstanding clean channel and also a verrrrrry naughty gain channel with a hint of minty Marshallness.
    I do not like Mesa's sound at all and since I am going to have a little bit of cash I thought I might consider going right to the top!

So tell me what ya' think guys.

Re: Uber or Ecstacy?

Ecstasy... Try it out if you can. I've heard they sound a little different from the earlier ones to the later ones... The earlier one that I checked out was saweeet... I hear the later ones aare a little more fuzzy... Not sure personally.

The uber is cool for getting the serious metal tone out of a head without using much else to attain it. If I needed just a head to go out and do what "I" do... I guess I'd grab an Uber.

But, your needs seem to call for a Ecstacy 101B... It can come somewhat close to the Uber, somewhat. Especially if you were to EQ a bit. It has niiiiice cleans, lotsa lotsa character and tone (more character and tone than the Uber). They really have a sound of their own. Not sure I'd call it Marshally, But, I suppose you could get close.

After playing one a while, you won't want Marshally... hehe... The tone and character are awesome.

[img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] DSL/TSL Toneless, crapfully built with low grade components and too much dough... A friend bought a DSL new and blew it up twice. I sold the one I had here as quick as I could...

Bogner quality AND tone is much better, although I'm not blown away by the attention to detail on the Bogner amp cabinet tolex covering etc... You can hardly go wrong with Bogner, VHT etc..

I don't know about the Riveras, the only one I've played had Ninja boost, no idea what model it was, sounded like a so so Marshall with much better tone though... Nonetheless, I hear that they have some very cool amps though...

Keep us posted on your decision!

[ December 05, 2002, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Geez, I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it sounds to me like you are describing an SLO.

Comment

From what I've heard on them, I'd probably agree actually... Haven't played an SLO in so long, I can't comment really. I remember not liking it much as it wasn't crunchy enough, but at that time, I was pretty stupid about amps...

Sooooo... 3k will grab yas a way cool rackmount SLO... and a head version is what, around $1700 or so?

I'd like to try one of the rack pieces... Reeeel Baaaad...

[ December 05, 2002, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Uber is a pure Metal amp....that's about it . So if ya play grinding , cruchin metal......Uber

Bill Z Bogner
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Chuck,
            I had wanted to get an SLO but thought that it wasn't a true two channel amp in so far as the no.1 channel wasn't truly clean. Sort of like a dual lead channel if you will. Was I mistakin in this assumption? And if so would the HR 50+ also do the same thing or would I have to get the 100 watter?

Comment

The SLO is a true two channel amp. The "Normal" channel has a clean/crunch switch and on clean with the gain at six or so it's crystal clean. With the gain maxed it just starts to break up in an old AC/DC kind of way. This channel also has a bright switch that really makes it shine.
              With the crunch switch on it has way more gain and maxed it sounds a little grindier than a JCM800. Unfortunately the clean/crunch is not footswitchable, though I'm sure it could be modded to make it so.
              Then there is the "Overdrive" channel... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The SLO is totally capable of scooped mids rage, no sweat. The tone controls are very sensitive and work off each other much like a Recto does. You have to spend time with it to really figure it out.

The HR 50+ and 100+ are two channel as well, but a litle more difficult to get truley clean sounds out of them. They would be comperable to an SLO without the clean/crunch switch. The HR's and the Decatone are all based on the same construction and components and while similiar to the SLO, they don't sound the same at all to my ear.

Comment

Make sure you try the XTC. I love mine. Here is a sample of the blue channel (ch 2) with boost.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~wj15/sounds/riff3.mp3

JOHN

Comment

Definitely the Ecstasy or the SLO. The Ecstasy is more versatile but the SLO has the better tone in my opinion.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I've heard rumblings about the Rivera Knucklehead II (Isn't in production yet).

It's supposed to be a really kick ass high gain amp. I had a TBR, and it was great for vintage to medium gain tones. If Paul dialed in the cleans of the TBR with really good high gain sounds, the amp would be hard to beat.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete, I am going back in on Sunday to try the Rivera again with someone who supposedly knows how to dial it in. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I'll agree that it sounds like you're describing the SLO. FYI Chuck, they can't make the clean/crunch switch footswitchable. It changes the gain of the 2nd stage of the clean channel, so the two volume levels would never work together. (Soldano actually mentions this in their FAQ.)

Definitely check one of these out before making a final decision. I've played the Shiva and Uber, but not the XTC so can't really comment there.

Ross

Comment

Bogner makes a lefty?
                          I was not aware of that!
                          [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Pete:
                            Would your VHT fit the bill?

Comment

Ross, I am aware that Soldano says it really can't be done, but for my personal needs, moving the switch to a floor control would be fine as I never play clean at the came level as crunch anyway.
                              Guess I should have mentioned that.

Comment

Working...
                              X