little squares of black paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little squares of black paint

Im redoing a Carvel 475. When I took the wires and pickups out, there were some , Im guessing, ground wires screwed into the wood in the cavity and under each pickup. Where they were screwed had little squares of some kind of black paint, was this somehow conductive or something? Does it need to go back? where can I get it if so?
    A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

that black paint in the cavities is shielding paint, and it does conduct. Maybe not 100% needed, but shure does not hurt.

Comment

the whole cavity wasnt painted, just like a 1/2 inch square, the black wire had an eye ring terminal and it screwed into the wood under the pickup into the black paint...
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

The conductive paint is like a base coat over the pickup cavities and covered by the finish with patches left exposed to attach to the ground wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          The conductive paint is like a base coat over the pickup cavities and covered by the finish with patches left exposed to attach to the ground wires.

Gotcha..next question, whats it called and where to get it???

Comment

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...ing_Paint.html

Comment

copper shielding is your best bet for noise reduction. If you're doing a 100% original style resto, go paint but if you're looking to improve go copper tape. If you do go copper tape don't buy it on stewmac, they rip ya off.

Here is exactly the same copper tape 3/4 wide and 15 feet long:

http://www.midlandhardware.com/20071...RoC5lIQAvD_BwE

Comment

Good to know my guitar will repel slugs, snails, and electrical interference!

Comment

Working...
                X