Stock Schaller Floyd vs original on MIJ Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Schaller Floyd vs original on MIJ Jacksons

I have a 1992 Jackson Soloist Standard and a 1990 Soloist Jr. (both Japan-only models with "GROVER JACKSON" written in small capital letters to the right of the "Jackson ®" logo. The Standard came with a stock Schaller FR; Jr. came with an after-market original Floyd. There is a BIG difference in tone.

Aside from the bridge change, the Jr. has a 24.75" scale and a smaller body. It's also listed as having a 1/4 sawn maple neck-thru; the Standard is listed simply as maple - but I wouldn't be suprised if it was 1/4 sawn too. Jr. has an ebony fretboard; Standard has rosewood. Apart from that, the specs are the same.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else found that upgrading the Schaller makes a big difference? I'm trying to pinpoint the tonal difference, and the biggest factor I think would be the bridge, with the spec differences making only minor differences. I'll probably change the bridge on the Standard, but I just wanted to hear some opinions before I do it. Cheers.

Schaller's a fine trem. OFR bolts are too long for a schaller route anyway. Just checked out your clip of the Soloist Jr and it appears the locking bolts are indeed hanging over the recess.

I know $$ doesn't guarantee value, but last I checked the schallers (made in Germany) cost more than OFR. By no means are they a problem. Schaller did (and I think still does) make the OFR anyway.

Comment

Schaller does make both the lic'd locking trem and the OFR.
      Schaller locking trem should not cost more than an OFR. If it does, find a new source; you're getting scammed.
      Schaller now offers the Lock Meister- for all intents and purposes, an OFR for about 40 bucks less than the OFR.
      Schaller offers 38mm length string lock bolts for the OFR bridge as wellas the Lock Meister. These will fit within the rout made for the Schaller locking stubby bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        Schaller offers 38mm length string lock bolts for the OFR bridge as wellas the Lock Meister. These will fit within the rout made for the Schaller locking stubby bolts.
        Excellent - I was already thinking about replacing those bolts. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X