Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two humbuckers, one volume, one 3-way toggle. More switching/splitting options: HOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two humbuckers, one volume, one 3-way toggle. More switching/splitting options: HOW?

For a guitar with 2H, 1V, and a 3-way toggle, what are my options if I want coil splitting versatility?

I would be particularly interested in coil splitting each humbucker independently, specifically seeking the sound of the outermost coils (independently).

If I could settle for just splitting the neck pickup, it would be easy to add a push-pull pot and the appropriate wiring.

However, also wanting to split the bridge pickup seems to complicate things with this very simple layout. (It always seems more flexible when there are more knobs than pickups, like adding options to a Les Paul.)

Assume I want to keep the stock pickups, both pickups are 4-conductor, no drilling the guitar/pickguard for extra switches/pots, etc. For the purposes of this exercise, we are only allowed to play with the wiring and the two holes already drilled for the 1V and 3-way.

Example guitars would be American or Japanese Charvel Pro-Mods or a Jackson KE3 like the ones seen below.

This discussion could get interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Is this gadget a possibility? I don't recall any discussion around here regarding it.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...ra_Switch.html

Comment

Pull pot and rotary 5 way? I dunno.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Is this gadget a possibility? I don't recall any discussion around here regarding it.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E...ra_Switch.html
      That's interesting, but the only guy to actually bust out a meter and test it said no. Still might be worth trying..
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Doesn't Seymour Duncan sell pickup rings with switches in them?
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
          Doesn't Seymour Duncan sell pickup rings with switches in them?
          Yes, they're called Triple Shots, and are the best answer to this particular question. They can be mounted on pickguards and direct-mounted pickups, and you do not have to use the corner screw holes - just mount them with the pickup height screws.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yep, the Triple Shots are probably your best bet.

DiMarzio does make a three-way toggle super switch such as what John Petrucci uses. I've got one installed on my Carvin to get the middle position to be the inner coils. I guess you could wire it for the outer coils if you really wanted to. I can also run each pickup independently to have one full humbucker with the other split, but that's because I've also got two volume controls, so you'll run into that problem with only one volume.

You could always get a concentric volume pot and have it wired two volumes instead of volume/tone.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i just looked at those triple shot, very cool.

Comment

Concentric pots will only work on pickguarded guitars, from what I've found. Their collars aren't long enough to go through wood tops, even those with internal recesses intended for short pots.

However, they're also taller than single-shaft pots, and if you thought the Jackson/Charvel pot placement was in the way now, you'll fucking hate it with a concentric.

In the case of the SoCal, you can replace it with a single-ply Warmoth pickguard and put the knob(s) anywhere you want, but you may have to trim the neck of it out since they worship at the altar of Leo, and a 2 1/4" neck heel is not on their menu, last I looked.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X