Wiring help! EMG 89 / 81 set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help! EMG 89 / 81 set.

Alright so I'm a little confused about this 89 I acquired I understand it requires a pull/push pot to function like it's supposed to now does it need to be EMG made or can the pot be any generic type as long as its 25k and push/pull function? I'm installing the 81 in the bridge and the 89 in the neck, each having their own volume and a 3 way switch between them. If anyone could get me an exact diagram on that, it'd be greatly appreciated!! The EMG site just doesn't have this exact setup on the site and I'm looking for some clarification thank you! BTW the 89 is an older model so it's not the solder-less system.

Have you tried contacting EMG directly? I had problems before and they responded quickly and thoroughly.

Comment

Pretty sure it doesn't have to be an emg push pull 25k, but good luck finding a different one.

So is your goal 2 volume, 0 tone, 3 way switch(bridge/both/neck)?

If so, should be able to wire it like a les paul minus the tone controls.
      Last edited by TKEblue; 05-22-2017, 07:28 AM.
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

You can either use a push/pull pot or a mini switch to split the 89.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          You can either use a push/pull pot or a mini switch to split the 89.
          I bought the stuff to do it this way with an emg 89 a while back because there was no way I was paying $50+ for an emg push pull wiring kit, just for the push pull pot. Couldn't find the pot by itself and seems like nobody else makes a 25k push pull. Ended up just selling the pickups though..somebody else's problem now.

Comment

Alright so thanks for the help guys, I've seen some cheap 25k push/pull pots on amazon for around 5 Canadian, and I've ordered these cheap parts before and they're pretty good quality. I'll update this with a photo when it's done !

Comment

Originally posted by rudociliak View Post
              Alright so thanks for the help guys, I've seen some cheap 25k push/pull pots on amazon for around 5 Canadian, and I've ordered these cheap parts before and they're pretty good quality. I'll update this with a photo when it's done !
              Sweet, I'm glad you found some. I looked everywhere I could think to look, including amazon and couldn't find anything but the emg wiring kit.

Comment

When you buy an 89 new, it usually comes with the push-pull. Whatever dickhead sold it should have included it.

As the 89 is an S and SA under the hood, but there is only one preamp in the pickup, the push-pull decides which one gets the preamp, so it's not really a "coil splitter" as it would be on a passive 4-conductor pickup. You could, in a pinch, hardwire it so that either one is always on. This would alleviate the volume drop when switching to the S.

But yes, any 25K push-pull will work fine.

I'd also suggest running each pickup off its own battery. You'd be amazed at how much sharing the battery cuts the overall output.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  As the 89 is an S and SA under the hood,
                  89 is an 85 and an S under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    89 is an 85 and an S under the hood.
                    Actually, it's an 85 and SA.

Comment

Eating my words.

Comment

According to the email I got from EMG a few years back when I inquired if it would work with the SD TripleShot, it's a single-coil S and Stacked SA.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Unless EMG has changed it, they also state it's like an 85 and SA. And I know you can even flip the pickup upside down depending on if you'd like the single coil side closer to the neck or the bridge.

http://www.emgpickups.com/89.html#info

Comment

89R does that for you and keeps the logo placement.

Comment

Yep, I know about the R, also. People just used to flip them before that.

Comment

Working...
                              X