Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J50BC pickups

Hey,

I recently bought 2 Jackson J50 pickups on ebay and finally got around to wiring them in. The one i installed in the bridge position sounds really thin and weird though. I have tried using the green and the black as hot but same result. Do i have a dud or am i missing something. Attached 2 pictures. The one installed in the bridge is the one with the adjustable poles. The leftover solder on it makes me a bit suspicious since you dont really solder plastic covers on pickups do you(both came with Jackson plastic covers).

Last edited by BQlleFrQ; 04-22-2017, 06:18 AM.

Can you get an ohm reading on it? You might try wiring it directly to your output as an experiment to eliminate a pot or switch issue.

Comment

I don't have anything to read the ohm i'm afraid, as soon as i get some time i will try wiring it directly to the pot. I dont think it's the pot as the neck pickup sounds perfect.

Comment

Could try bringing it just about anywhere that works on electronics and have them test it with a volt ohm meter.
        The J50bc is amazing sounding imo. That's a real bummer if it is bad. If so, at least you have one that for sure works so you can try it in both positions and see where/how you like it in that guitar and go from there.
        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

J50BC isn't a hot pickup... kinda reminds me of an 85 with a dead battery, but in a good way.

It'll get decent old school thrash, old school DM and moody metal pretty well. That and the J95? are probably my two fav Jackson pickups.

That sucks if it's bad.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Don"t these have to be used with the active mid boost? (I know its not a active pickup for those who will lecture me on that)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              Don"t these have to be used with the active mid boost? (I know its not a active pickup for those who will lecture me on that)
              I'm no expert but from my understanding, they were designed to be used together but they can be used on their own.

@xenophobe; gonna be checking out the J95 in about 2 1/2 hours. Hopefully I feel the same as you since you like the J50bc as well.

Comment

The J50BC was employed as OEM equipment with and without the Jackson active electronics system.

Comment

Dropped it off at my tech so he will have a look at it.

Comment

J50BC, like Axe said, was put on guitars with and without a preamp.

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                    I'm no expert but from my understanding, they were designed to be used together but they can be used on their own.

@xenophobe; gonna be checking out the J95 in about 2 1/2 hours. Hopefully I feel the same as you since you like the J50bc as well.
                    Definitely let us know how you like it.

Comment

I actually have a Jackson JE-1000 clone sitting here i will try in the guitar once i have 2 working pups.

Comment

Both pups are working He redid all the electronics and everything is ok. I love these pickups, sound even better than i remembered from my Charvel model 4.

Comment

That's awesome! I'm glad it all worked out for you. Did you install the boost as well?

Comment

Probably doing that over the weekend, just wanted to make sure the pups sounded great by themselves. Sometimes you remember things being better than they really were, not the case here though. The j50's sound amazing.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X