Floyd and neck questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd and neck questions

My project body is drilled for an OFR, will a Floyd special fit? Also, which fretboard radii are better for Floyd usage? I will probably go the Musikraft route so I have a few choices.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

The Floyd Special is the same dimensions as the original. No issue there.
    As for neck radius, pic what ever you're comfortable with.
    All Floyd nuts have a 10" radius. You shim the saddles on the bridge to work with the neck radius.
    The bridge is 12" radius with the factory shims... it's 10" without them.
    Basically you buy a pack of saddle shims and use a radius gauge to setup the saddles to match the neck radius.

But honestly, most guitar manufacturers leave the trems stock... even Jackson.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks, do you happen to know if the OFR comes with both sets of nut screws? The neck I ordered has the holes all the way through the neck.
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson View Post
        Thanks, do you happen to know if the OFR comes with both sets of nut screws? The neck I ordered has the holes all the way through the neck.
        I just checked the box from the last OFR I bought and they do come with both.
        If by some chance you don't get them, they're pretty easy to find online.
        Hell PM me your address and I'll send you a set if they don't give you any.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the help, also...the ones I'm seeing for sale (WARMOTH) come with the 37mm block. This will be a non-recessed mount, will that matter? Aaaaand one final question...are the bushings hard to install? the body is already drilled, should I use the drill press as a press or a rubber mallet? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson View Post
            Thanks for the help, also...the ones I'm seeing for sale (WARMOTH) come with the 37mm block. This will be a non-recessed mount, will that matter? Aaaaand one final question...are the bushings hard to install? the body is already drilled, should I use the drill press as a press or a rubber mallet? Thanks in advance.
            Personally, I would use the drill press to press them in. I never enjoy hitting guitars.
            A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Press them in.. never force them in with a mallet of any kind. Good way to split the body.
              As for the block, 37mm might work. Just depends on the neck angle. If it's steep, a larger block will be required.
              I have a surface mount one my Charvel that only has a slight neck angle. It uses a 37mm block with no issues.
              You just have to test fit and make sure the springs aren't rubbing against the body.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X