Electronics lifespan?...Pots/Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics lifespan?...Pots/Switches

Just curious as to others experiences on this.

I got a new MIJ DKMGT in late 2011 with EMG 81/85's and at almost exactly the 5 year mark I began to hear the first sign of scratching in the volume and blade switch. Of course, this isn't the end of the world...a shot of cleaner and some vigorous movements clean them up periodically.

Playing time over those 5 years varied greatly. From as little as an hour a week to as much as 20+ hours.
    I mention this because it's been my belief a guitar sitting around can cause scratchy pots the same as one that's been used a lot.

On a side note: My 2011 purchased JS3 Indian bass goes weeks without being touched and the 'cheap?' pots are still quiet. Kinda' kills my 'sitting around = bad' theory. Also makes me wonder why the JS electronics get a bad rap. Naturally, experiences and playing conditions will vary, though.

So, how long do your electronics stay quiet? Any brands you favour over others for lifespan?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Lots of factors. How often you use or don't use it. Weather / humidity.

CTS is highly regarded. Found in many old Gibsons and Fenders.

Bourns too?

Comment

One thing is, I live in an old, damp house with humidity between 40-70%. If not for the dehumidifier I'd be 90% humidity in the summer.

Whatever the factory pots are, I'd have to say I'm quite happy with 5+ years.

I put CTS/Switchcraft gear in my SL2HT last year, so the clock is ticking on them and I'm curious to compare to the Dinky's mileage.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

My experience buying older guitars is that older electronics suck diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

I like 3-way switches, those tend to get wonky over time. Supposedly if you store them away in the middle position they do better. But who can be vigilant about that??

Tone pots....UGH!

Old pickups going microphonic....BOO!

Output jacks.....GGGGZRZRGZGZRGZRGZRZGZGRZRZ!!!!

Comment

Good thing they're cheap and easy to replace, eh Axewielder?

Comment

Dissimilar metals will have galvanic corrosion if left in electrical contact.

Comment

I think there's too many factors to determine a lifespan for electronics. As long as they clean up with the electronics spray you should be good. If you work the spray in there good and they are still a scratchy mess then maybe the pot is worn or something else got in there. Ive had no issue with the RS pots in my LP for over 5 years but the stock pots in my MIJ jacksons get scratchy if not used enough. I think you might have hit it on the head with humidity.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De.../dp/B00006LVEU
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The spray works for now...may get another year or more out of them. I'm happy with that.
                  I was just curious about people's individual experiences. Like, has anyone ever gotten 7, 8, 10+ years out of a everyday/weekly player?

Comment

who knows, I'm in NY the weather is all over the place as is humidity. Ive got guitars from '77 that are fine, contact cleaner works great for guitars that haven't been played a lot, but no real problems w my old stuff at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      I like 3-way switches, those tend to get wonky over time. Supposedly if you store them away in the middle position they do better. But who can be vigilant about that??
                      My 2005 SL2H had this issue and no matter what it didn't go away. Finally I bent the contacts so that they pressed harder against each other. Problem solved.

Funny thing is I don't have issues with my old Gibsons.

Comment

I do think the older pots were good. Also if you get high quality pots they will hold up better. Seems to be what everyone is experiencing.

Comment

On guitars I play a lot, I would say 3-5 years before the jack and volume pot start going.

I don't use the switch or tone very often so they last forever. Except somehow the shaft and knob fell off the tone pot on my Schecter a few years ago..
                          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

WOW, '77? That I wasn't expecting, but I'm more than impressed.
                            They sure don't make 'em like that anymore to my knowledge. Any idea the brand?

I'd say 3-5 is fair for a guitar that gets frequent playing.

Comment

As others have said - I am not a big knob user. Less wear and tear on them.
                              I have an '86 that is fully functional. And I have never sprayed it, but I can't guarantee that my tech(s) hasn't.
                              Yet, I have others that needed spray-cleaned after a few years.

Luck of the draw, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X