Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Paint Job

Hey,

I'm thinking of giving a Jackson soloist of mine a custom paint job, but I'd like to use someone that can really do a fantastic copy of another manufacturer's paint idea. The old Tom Anderson bowling bowl paint job always appealed to me after I first saw Kirk Hammett in 1989 have one at the time. Love the look, but I want it with my Jackson.

Who do you think can handle this type of paint job?

GMW Guitar Works, Mike Learn or Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics come to mind right away. Among the best in the business.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

You could check with Dan Lawrence about it. http://www.drlgrafx.com

Could also hit up Mike Learn http://learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        GMW Guitar Works, Mike Learn or Dan Lawrence at DRL Graphics come to mind right away. Among the best in the business.
        Yep, that pretty much sums it up. All of them are great choices.

Comment

Pat Wilkins does them for Anderson and he does private commissions too: http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/finishing.htm
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Pat Wilkins does them for Anderson and he does private commissions too: http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/finishing.htm
            Boom! Thank you again, sir!

Comment

That paint job looks like it was accomplished by applying paint to a woman's crotch and having her sit on the guitar
              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
                That paint job looks like it was accomplished by applying paint to a woman's crotch and having her sit on the guitar
                All the more reason to love this paint job, Pete!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
                  So,...
                  The above one is called "Pale wet clam print"??
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    So,...
                    The above one is called "Pale wet clam print"??
                    Why, yes... As a metal guitar, what could be more disturbing then that?

Comment

I think Jackson calls that finish Heerie Puss Swirl
                      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

In all seriousness, I think that finish is done by flaming the paint with like a cooking torch. It's burned. There was a run of Charvels done by a dealer in a similar way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          In all seriousness, I think that finish is done by flaming the paint with like a cooking torch. It's burned. There was a run of Charvels done by a dealer in a similar way, too.
                          Really? That's interesting. Do you remember the name of the series, or find images online?

Comment

Several years ago, think it was a Chicago area dealer online. I'm sure there are images out there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                              Really?
                              not. the finish is done by spreading a thinned finish with a dry airbrush, blown with compressed air to create the "trails".
                              you can see the "spots" of concentrated air where this type of where applied.
                              >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                              X